what beer to try in Michigan?!? Need suggestions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2BeerSpeer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in Flint, Michigan restoring power from the recent storms and would like to take some 6 packs of local brews home. I looked at seek a brew but nothing really looked familiar....any suggestions are appreciated!

My favorite is Dark Horse Brewing. There's also Jolly Pumpkin, Bell's, B. Nektar Meadery, Founder's.

I grew up in Michigan, but that was long before they had a microbrew beer scene.
My friends on FB are all ranting about founders, shorts, greenbush, dark horse, and really just too darn many to list. There are some in Ann Arbor that they rave about, another friend in Traverse city is raving about at least 9 breweries there and more being built.
Personally, I can speak about founders. Every beer I've tried has been top notch. I like them all without a clear favorite.
Let us know what you picked up.
TD

There are SOOOO many breweries in Michigan. My buddy has some rental units in Mt. Pleasant and every time he goes back up he ends up bringing down the "Michigan Samplers" for us. Its beer we can't get in our area. Just to start the list, check out Beer Advocate's list for Grand Rapids (about an hour away). It would be hard for me to pick just a few out. They are all amazing.

Short's actually has a mixed 12-pack right now that you might want to pick up. They do not distribute out of state.

Also I'll second Greenbush. Distorter, Anger, and Closure are all good.

And because you are in Flint you should hit up Redwood Lodge. Although I have never been I have heard very good things about their beers.

Thanks everyone. I drink bells and founders a lot but some of the others I can't get. Having a hard time finding a store that has anything not BMC...but we aren't getting to stop at many places unless we're fuelling trucks.

Atwater brewery's vanilla java porter is probably #2 as my all time favorite beer so try that. Arbor brewing makes some good beer as well as shorts.

Not sure if u will find it in Flint, but both Right Brain and Mackinaw Brewing (Traverse City) have terrific offerings that u may find in local stores. I visit both of these every time I am in TC.

Have fun.

Founders and Shorts are my two favorites. Both New Holland and Bells are also really popular. I'm a former westsider so I'm not very familiar with the Flint area. If you make it to the Grand Rapids area, go to Vivant and Harmony. Harmony was also recently recognized for being in the top 5 pizza places in the state.

Try Kuhnhenn Brewing Co. I've never been there, but they are always my favorite booth at MBG winter beerfest. I'm not sure what their distribution is like, but you might be able to find their stuff on the shelf in Flint. If not, a trip to Warren, MI wouldn't be far. Try the 4th Dementia if you can find it. Also, you can't go wrong with Founders or Dark Horse. New Holland, Shorts, Dragonmead, and Arcadia are all great choices as well.

+1 on Bell's, Darkhorse, and Founder's. Also, if you can get your hands on it, Saugatuck brewery does a neopolitan stout that is phenomenal but also seasonal, it'll be gone relatively quick.

2BeerSpeer said:
I'm in Flint, Michigan restoring power from the recent storms and would like to take some 6 packs of local brews home. I looked at seek a brew but nothing really looked familiar....any suggestions are appreciated!

Flint is not the area for breweries, for sure. But while you're in this neck of the woods, grab some Bell's Two Hearted, and Founders Dirty Bastard. If you're looking to hit up breweries though, you're going to have to drive a bit. North to Midland or Frankenmuth, or better yet, west to Grand Rapids, where the Founders brewery is. A day off would be WELL spent in Grand Rapids.

Back home now with no luck finding local beers at any stores I went to. I do however have a case of hopslam in the fridge I bought before I left. Bells and Founders are readily available here in NC. Thanks for all the replies...maybe I'll have better luck next time! All the beer stores I saw only had BMC selections and I was amazed they didn't support local breweries....not even the new stores.

Back home now with no luck finding local beers at any stores I went to. I do however have a case of hopslam in the fridge I bought before I left. Bells and Founders are readily available here in NC. Thanks for all the replies...maybe I'll have better luck next time! All the beer stores I saw only had BMC selections and I was amazed they didn't support local breweries....not even the new stores.

Latest posts

Back