Getting old sucks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I turned 51 a few months back. I've noticed that some things have changed since I hit the big 50.

The friggin AARP will not leave me alone about a stupid membership (includes a free tote bag). Everything on my body hurts. I think I'm getting crankier, and I suddenly want kids to get off my lawn.

Today I got a letter informing me that I won a contest. Guess what I won? A free cemetary plot valued at $1250. I just need to call the number on the letter to qualify. Seriously?! I used to fake-win good stuff like cruises, fur coats, vacations to Europe, and new cars. Now I'm fake-winning cemetary plots? Getting old sucks.

Turned 51 last Sept. Had my first experience with gout after New Years. Guess I over-did-it during the holidays (so I was told). My left big toe swelled up and was an ass kicker. Getting old sucks. Everybody and their mother said lay off the beer. What? Are you out of your mind? Damn gout....
I'm gonna teach this gout who's boss! On my third pint right now....ouch

Turned 51 last Sept. Had my first experience with gout after New Years. Guess I over-did-it during the holidays (so I was told). My left big toe swelled up and was an ass kicker. Getting old sucks. Everybody and their mother said lay off the beer. What? Are you out of your mind? Damn gout....

I think beer and coffee are the only things keeping me going. The coffee gets my heart pumping in the AM and the beer puts me to sleep at night.

drink pure cherry juice. iv had gout for over 4 yr now and it really helps to keep it in check. the min you feel it flaring up start drinking it

Yeah, and you'd better go ahead and stock up on some prune juice and ensure too old timer. :mug:

drink pure cherry juice. iv had gout for over 4 yr now and it really helps to keep it in check. the min you feel it flaring up start drinking it

Hey thanks for the tip! I love cherries and cherry juice.

Edit: Oh damn! Just realized I'm drinking my Cherry Stout as we speak. Haha that's funny!!! Should still work, right????

F@@k getting old...you're as young as you feel...man I feel old today...time for another pint.

Dont feel bad I am 30 and have Gout, I believe it was caused by dropping a motorcycle ramp (with motorcycle) on my big toe, because ever since that happened ive been getting occaisional flares in that toe only. I have high uric acid the doc says. Do you take any medication for it? Im like you I just kinda deal with it, its not too bad. When I feel a flare coming I take Aleve seems to minimize the pain and length of flare (usually a day or so) I can still go to work just fine.

Dont feel bad I am 30 and have Gout, I believe it was caused by dropping a motorcycle ramp (with motorcycle) on my big toe, because ever since that happened ive been getting occaisional flares in that toe only. I have high uric acid the doc says. Do you take any medication for it? Im like you I just kinda deal with it, its not too bad. When I feel a flare coming I take Aleve seems to minimize the pain and length of flare (usually a day or so) I can still go to work just fine.

Doc offered me meds and that's still an option, but like you, I'm just dealing with it. It only flared up that one time but it took like a month to go away! My "dealing" seems to have been working so far. I eat "problematic" foods like steak & beer, but even though my eating habits have been pretty much the same, my incidents have been limited to "that one time". Time for more Cherry Stout!!! Ha!:ban:

It'll work! :mug:

Also, a tsp of baking soda (supposed to neutralize the acids in the body) a few times a day. If I feel a twinge, I hit the baking soda and I haven't had a full on attack for over a year. The last one was in my ankle. I literally crawled to the bathroom and used a kitchen chair as a walker. I have never been in such misery. Getting old does suck!

Also, a tsp of baking soda (supposed to neutralize the acids in the body) a few times a day. If I feel a twinge, I hit the baking soda and I haven't had a full on attack for over a year. The last one was in my ankle. I literally crawled to the bathroom and used a kitchen chair as a walker. I have never been in such misery. Getting old does suck!

I've tried the baking soda trick, and I feel it works too! My only concern is the amount of sodium in it. Seems getting old has brought hypertension to my doorstep too....

But after all's said 'n done, let me tell you, I still feel great!:rockin:

I was a big jock in school. Played recreational basketball until I was 45 years old. Now I can't even walk consistently. I have no stamina. I exercise for 20 minutes and I'm beat.

But I keep telling myself, use it or lose it.

Getting old sucks!

But my taste in beer has improved! I remember when I was a kid, I thought, "Those guys with tap at home really have it made!" Now I have 4.

Getting old sucks double! Maybe triple! I'm 75 and used to be a contractor. Now I do "handyman" work. Takes me half a day to change a faucet washer! Lesson learned; don't get old!

Would be interesting to see a poll by age ranges and brewing types (3v, extract, BIAB, etc) of HBT members. I'm one of the ancients and don't know how to set it up (can barely find the "enter" key on the keyboard much less find the damn keyboard!).

I'm a running fanatic. I ran my whole life, now I break something every two years. I'm limping right now with something poking out of my right foot. Goddam it. This never happened when I was young. I'm with you hear OP. I'm 48. 47.

Latest posts

Back