Beer clearing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voodoochild7

Reaction score
I have had my maple pumpkin ale in the secondary for about a week now. I'm going to leave it in there for 2 weeks before bottling as much of what I've read suggests about 2 weeks I know you can leave it in there longer how long should I leave it or when do I know when it's completely cleared.

With some beers you can actually see the line of demarcation between clear/not clear...with others (darker) it's more difficult. I generally don't worry about it. I find using Irish moss in the boil, a 10-14 day period in the secondary, and then refrigeration of my beer after it's carbonated to be effective enough for me. Some of my beers are extremely clear with a fine layer of sediment like a coat of paint on the bottom of the bottle, and others aren't so successful.

If you're using a glass carboy, you can see everything settle. If you use a bucket, draw a sample off from the level you'd be drawing to fill. I have a primer bucket with a bottom tap that has an inverted intake, so if I can draw clear ale I know it's settled.

Back