2 vessel system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoCornOrRice

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Although I currently use 3 vessels, I want to make a compact 2 vessel system. I see so few two vessel systems that I wonder if I am missing something with the following method:

1. Fill BK with all the water needed (15 gallons for 10 gallon batch size);
2. Drain to MLT, for simple infusion mash;
3. pump back into BK, heating to sparge temp;
4. drain into MLT;
5. pump into BK and begin boil.

I want to streamline my system as much as possible on my new brew stand, I am sick of the giant mess of equipment I currently have.

where are you going to put the sparge water between when you drain the first runnings from the MT and when you start sparging?

thanks for the response:

I would not have first runnings and second runnings in the conventional sense.

All of the water needed for both of those operations would be put into the mash, then all of the "first runnings" would be pumped into the BK, heated to sparge temp, and then that full volume added back into the mash tun to sparge with.

All of the water needed for both of those operations would be put into the mash, then all of the "first runnings" would be pumped into the BK, heated to sparge temp, and then that full volume added back into the mash tun to sparge with.

Sparging with your runnings isn't going to remove any more sugars from your grains; if this is the plan just go to no-sparge and save yourself the time.

I'm sure that someone will chime in with some technical reason why some other way would be better. However, this is exactly what I'm going to do myself. I was thinking about a recirculating system, but if my tun only loses a few degrees, I don't care too much....

rats, I was hoping it would. Maybe I'll stick with three vessels after all

What is your efficiency on a 3 vessel system? For the price of a couple of lbs of 2-row, this might be a perfectly serviceable system.

FWIW, if you go with the no-sparge route, you could bump yourself down to a 1 vessel system and do BIAB.

I tend to get about 80% eff with the gravity fed 3 vessel system, and grains run me about $0.70/pound, so a few extra pounds are not significant price wise.

The other option is to collect the first runnings in a bucket, empty the sparge water into the MT then pour the first runnings into the BK and start heating.

I have a Brutus 20, which is a two vessel system. Works great and i get ~75% efficiency with it. Details can be found here...
brutus20

I found this youtube video. This guy uses a 2 keggle system. I'm actually thinking about building one of these with my cousin.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knWHamYxN5s]HOW TO ALL GRAIN BREW WITH "RIMS" SYSTEM - YouTube[/ame]

Back