Newbie cider question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mavrick1903

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My first batch if cider is in secondary, and the airlock has gone still. I know I need to condition for awhile, can this be done after bottling? I'd like to free up my carboy.

If you have a hydrometer, use that to tell you if it's done fermenting. Airlocks aren't as reliable as hydrometers, so make sure it's done before bottling to prevent bottle bombs.

If it's TRULY done, then yes, you can condition in the bottle.

Eric

This may be a silly question, but can you bottle condition AFTER you stove top pasteurize? I would assume so, but I figured I'd ask.

I notice a difference in flavor (albeit slight) from when I bottle, after it carbs up, after I pasteurize and then even as soon as a week of conditioning in the carbed bottles.

cadillacandy said:
This may be a silly question, but can you bottle condition AFTER you stove top pasteurize? I would assume so, but I figured I'd ask.

I notice a difference in flavor (albeit slight) from when I bottle, after it carbs up, after I pasteurize and then even as soon as a week of conditioning in the carbed bottles.

Trying to decide if this us sarcasm...

Thanks for the help. I'm familiar with bottle conditioning with beer, just not cider.

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarity. After you stove top pasteurize, you'll need to add yeast to ferment, unless
You're going wild. Conditioning will occur after fermenting is done. See above for the reminder on when fermenting is done (I am)

Back