Which charcoal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I smoke it's low and slow, 230-240 is the range. That's hot enough, not sure what temps they are suggesting you smoke at?

+1 they don't call it low and slow for nothing. The only one that I have seen be successful cooking a brisket hot and fast is Myron Mixon. I tried it once and it came out the consistency of shoe leather so it's low and slow with brisket for me.

The cheapo Char-griller side fire-box smoker I have says in the instructions that for smoking, one should use hardwood logs, not lump/briquettes or chunks/chips. Says the logs achieve higher temps and you may not get hot enough with charcoal. I don't see logs at the grocery or Home Depot, does it really make that much of a difference? I didn't see anybody itt say they used logs.

I've just been using Kingsford and chunks and for anything other than short smokes ash build-up is a bit of a problem.

There are tons of mods for the chargriller that can improve the performance of the smoker dramatically. Just do a google search.

+1 they don't call it low and slow for nothing. The only one that I have seen be successful cooking a brisket hot and fast is Myron Mixon. I tried it once and it came out the consistency of shoe leather so it's low and slow with brisket for me.

A friend of mine was supposed to go to one of his BBQ classes he offers, have see when that was.

I can't recall if they said a specific temp but they were referring to smoking meats and the range listed above is pretty well-known/standard so I assume they meant in the 225* F range.

Data I've done some simple mods based on google searches and posts in another thread. I never used it 'stock' so I'm not sure how much they improved things.

I can't recall if they said a specific temp but they were referring to smoking meats and the range listed above is pretty well-known/standard so I assume they meant in the 225* F range.

Data I've done some simple mods based on google searches and posts in another thread. I never used it 'stock' so I'm not sure how much they improved things.

What have you done to it?

Extended the chimney with hd foil, used hd foil to direct the heat coming out of the box more horizontal. Flipped the fire-box grate.

When I saw this thread I kind of expected several to say they used whole logs (an assumption based on the suggestion in the CG user manual). But I didn't see anybody say it which surprised me (not that I would know). I just wanted to be sure.

I took 3 weekends off from brewing this month and had hoped to smoke something but just never did. I damn sure didn't do anything but watch hoops last weekend. I'm gonna do some ribs this weekend but I just bought two 20# bags of Kingsford ($10 for both at HD) so that's what I'll be using. Now if I can just find that Apple-Butter BBQ sauce recipe.

I know of a lot of people that use logs and probably an equal number of people that use charcoal. It is really just a preference thing.

Thanks but there's no beating lump, IMO. I can get 18 hours out of a firebox (large BGE) of lump and an 8# bag of Royal Oak SH is under $5 by me

I agree 100% here. Royal Oak is very strong. Really some of the best I have used. But I can get a 20 pound bag for 12 bucks at Ace Hardware. I haven't found a better bang for the buck anywhere.

And the large BGE is awesome as well.

I have a lightly modded S-N-P, I start with lump and switch over to log, I scored a load of pecan from a developer who was removing a grove to make room for a park by my house.

Thanks but there's no beating lump, IMO. I can get 18 hours out of a firebox (large BGE) of lump and an 8# bag of Royal Oak SH is under $5 by me

If you can get Wicked Good lump give it a try. I have cooked 30 hours in a large BGE with a single load and enough fuel left I would have made 48 hours. The pieces in the bag are mostly huge. The only downside is that it is a little hard to start.

I used Royal Oak before I switched to WG.

Wicked good is one of the few that I haven't tried that I want to. It would just be way too expensive for me. It is fairly high priced to begin with but then I would have to have it shipped. $30 for a bag is just a little too much for me.

Wicked good is one of the few that I haven't tried that I want to. It would just be way too expensive for me. It is fairly high priced to begin with but then I would have to have it shipped. $30 for a bag is just a little too much for me.

They now list a retailer in Dover. I happen to live about a quarter mile from one of their retailers. I just checked their site and they must have increased retail outlets ten fold since I last checked (a year or so ago) so hopefully it will be more widely available soon.

I think at the retail price it is definitely worth the premium but you are right, adding shipping really messes up the cost/benefit.

Thanks, I hadn't looked lately and didn't know they had expanded to around here. I pass through dover every few months too. Looks like I will finally give it a shot. I doubt it will get me away from stubbs though.

Humphreys is awesome lump charcoal at a good price.

If your near Clarion PA the plant is just off I-80. Give them a call and they will let you pick up at the plant. I think I paid $13 for 40lb bags of lump, that was a few years back.

I keep it simple. I use Kingsford original. I have a cord of Pecan I cut up to use for smoke.

I use Wegmans Lump (not sure who they subcontract through) or Cowboy if I can't get the Wegmans. I have been using the Weber Applewood chunks lately. Nice smoke flavor, not over powering. I don't have a place to store anymore wood.

On Data's recommendation I tried the Stubb's yesterday and was very impressed. I did a cut up (brined) fryer and a St. Louis rack. Six+ hours of 250 degree burn time and she was still humming when I finished. I'm guessing another two hours from just the initial load of coals. Very clean aroma and flavor while burning. I used apple wood from one of my trees and everything came out nicely.

The stubbs is on sale for 50% off at a lot of lowes this week. It doesn't seem to be all of the stores though.

i've used both kingsford and royal oak before. royal oak is little cheaper of the two, but i think kingsford heats up a little quicker.

I use Kingsford Charwood Or Straight Kingsford, and it has never let me down, yes it does make a lot of ash, but i have a garden so the ash is put to good use!

I've been able to get 20# bags of Mali lump from one of our food distributors for around $15 I think. The stuff barely ashes and burns for a long time.

i have a couple bags of kingsford I had from before my egg hatched. I use it when doing dogs or burgers and the ash afterwards is a lot more than what the Wegman's lump produces. After 2 cooks I have to rake out the bottom as the air flow is cut down.

Latest posts

Back