Finings in an IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trevorc13

Reaction score
I have an IPA brewing in the basement right now and I was hoping to add some gelatin or isinglass to it before bottling to make it more clear than my other batches. Will this affect my bitterness, aroma, flavor, or all three?

I've not used gelatin but it should not. I often use isinglass with good results and no noticeable affects to the aroma or taste of the beer.

Gelatin is usually added a couple of days before bottling. It will not affect flavor or aroma

I've not used gelatin but it should not. I often use isinglass with good results and no noticeable affects to the aroma or taste of the beer.

I bought my isinglass last summer and it's been sitting in my basement since. Would this still be good?

Just for some clarification, if using Isinglass when dry hopping, would you do so before dry hopping or would one want to fish out the dry hopping bag and then hit it with Isinglass for 4 days? Or just use Isinglass half way through the dry hop schedule (assuming 7 days of dry hop)?

Back