Hurricane Burner Source (NB Out of Stock)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mplutodh1

Reaction score
So with the Hurricane Burners pretty much out of stock everywhere - what recommendations to folks have for equivalent burners at a decent price?

How do the Banjo's compare? Are they much different?

Would like to find a burner where we can swap out the valve (like the hurricanes) to move between LP and NG if we decided to.

On 11/03 they told me the plant was shut down but they would be back in stock in three weeks. Idiot types all caps, but...

WE DO OFEER A NATURAL GAS VALVE FOR THE UNIT.. WE DO NOT SELL DIRECT , SO YOU WILL HAVE TO PURCHASE FROM ONE OF OUR DEALERS....AT THE MOMENT W ARE OUR OF STOCK AS ONE OF OUR SUPPLIER HAD A TEMPORARY PLANT SHUT DOWN , BUT THEY ARE OPEN AGAIN AND WE WILL HAVE PRODUCT BACK IN STOCK WITHIN THE NEXT THREE WEEKS.

On 11/03 they told me the plant was shut down but they would be back in stock in three weeks. Idiot types all caps, but...

WE DO OFEER A NATURAL GAS VALVE FOR THE UNIT.. WE DO NOT SELL DIRECT , SO YOU WILL HAVE TO PURCHASE FROM ONE OF OUR DEALERS....AT THE MOMENT W ARE OUR OF STOCK AS ONE OF OUR SUPPLIER HAD A TEMPORARY PLANT SHUT DOWN , BUT THEY ARE OPEN AGAIN AND WE WILL HAVE PRODUCT BACK IN STOCK WITHIN THE NEXT THREE WEEKS.

I hate being impatient! We found a welder for out 1-tier stand and want to finalize the design but I don't want to do that until we have the burners in hand so we know how we are mounting them is correct (4 or 5 standoffs, width, etc). Thanks for the heads up though.

i just ordered an alum. kettle from these guys: http://www.webstaurantstore.com/ i noticed they have lots o' burners in stock:

I'm not seeing any stand alone style burners on their site - there are only a handful that are actually banjo style and they are all in stands like turkey fryers. Maybe I should have been more clear - looking for hurricane burners for a single tier HERMs (brutus) setup.

I hate being impatient! We found a welder for out 1-tier stand and want to finalize the design but I don't want to do that until we have the burners in hand so we know how we are mounting them is correct (4 or 5 standoffs, width, etc). Thanks for the heads up though.

I had thought about a Hurricane because I wanted to use natural gas. Mainly because of the problems you see popping up about the gas temp. My gas grill won't even work in winter on propane. Pressure is too low.

I had thought about a Hurricane because I wanted to use natural gas. Mainly because of the problems you see popping up about the gas temp. My gas grill won't even work in winter on propane. Pressure is too low.

Yeah this will be a family brewery (Dad, brother and I) but the primary location will be at my parents place. Our house just doesn't have an idea brewing location besides the driveway and have no easy way to get NG to it. However, their patio is right off their kitchen and a SHORT easy NG run with a T in it so they can run their BBQ and then have an outlet for the brewery gives us the ideal location.

With the ability to swap the Hurricane burners out to run LP "fairly" easily - we could potentially use the brewery at my place with a few modifications.

I'll have to keep digging the forums to see if someone can explain, what if any differences there are between Hurricanes and Banjo.

Thanks kladue - one of the reasons I ask about the differences is I've read several "negative" reviews of he banjo burners - poor quality control mostly. Just want to make sure we get something that's worth the money.

Anyone have experience with the Mini Jet Burners (10 jet units).

http://www.bbq.com/item_name_Multi-...i_path_10500-9983-7112-7133_item_2516986.html

1bd5193272ad207a3f1c1e2c67791416.jpg

Are they too small? I know everyone has had issues with the 23 or larger tip units and trying to get them "tamed" - with a 10 tip unit, good regulator and a HERMS setup with temp/gas controls....

I don't want to be a nay sayer but in general the jet burners don't get alot of good press here. I haven't tried them myself based on what was written but maybe the 10 jet burners are different.

I don't want to be a nay sayer but in general the jet burners don't get alot of good press here. I haven't tried them myself based on what was written but maybe the 10 jet burners are different.

Yeah that's what I've seen... but after looking at all the posts about Jet burners and I'm seeing:

• Most are propane users
  • It's unclear how many of those giving them bad press are actually using adjustable regulators to adjust the flow
  • Most are using 23 tip burners - which, honestly appear to be total overkill for these setups.

Jet burners are much easier to incorporate into a single tier (can be held by black pipe), these 10 tip are fairly reasonably priced, and honestly - I've seen folks using thing without complaint. Just they don't seem to be very vocal:)

The 10 jet burners would be a good choice for a HLT application where the burner will run flat out to heat water. For boil kettle application you should look at the 10" cast burners because of the wide range of clean burning flame control across entire range. For mash tun heating the 6" cast burner is about the right size for low level heating of recirculated wort from under false bottom, lower output and wide clean burning flame adjustment range.

The 10 jet burners would be a good choice for a HLT application where the burner will run flat out to heat water. For boil kettle application you should look at the 10" cast burners because of the wide range of clean burning flame control across entire range. For mash tun heating the 6" cast burner is about the right size for low level heating of recirculated wort from under false bottom, lower output and wide clean burning flame adjustment range.

Appreciate the input - although must say, everyone names things differently on here - can you provide examples? when you say 10" cast burners - you're talking about the Hurricanes?

Why won't a 10 tip jet burner work for those? So many have converted their 23 tips to 13 or so....

The 10" cast burners are sold as "Hurricane" or "Banjo" burners but are essentialy identical. The multi jet burners need the gas pressure at the jet to stay high enough to induce air for combustion, and the flames go yellow when the gas flow/pressure is throttled down due to the jet gas/air mixer design.

Also to add to Kladue's post: The banjo/hurricane have an adjustable air shutter, so you have the ability to tune your air input to get the best combustion based on how much gas is flowing. Whereas the multi-jets work as Kladue stated.

I'm in the same boat as you, I want to brew 10G batches with NG next to my garage, I have NG, water spigot, GFI electric and a utility sink with a sprayer all next to each other. I have gone back and forth between the jet burners and the hurricane. Honestly I think I'm going to try the Hurricane. For now my setup will be a single burner for the HLT and BK so I don't want a 100% open burner all the time and its sounds as if the jet burners are very touchy when you back down on the gas due to the venturi air effect. I was hoping to get a Hurricane burner for Christmas but Norther Brewer has told me they keep pushing out their ship dates.

Back