use of pellet hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

techrunner

Reaction score
brewed my first kit, midwest's honey porter, and it uses pellet hops, i think it was at about 30 minutes and again at 10 minutes or something, i cant remember. anyway, i realize now that the hops went into the primary too, i dont think the directions ever specified that they needed to come out. so normally speaking, should the hops have been removed before racking to the fermentor? after a couple days i cracked to bucket and it smelled really hoppy, then after about a week and a half i cracked it again, and it smelled great. i know it'll be beer, just wondering if its normal to leave the hops, and if i should rack to a secondary to get them out. i was gonna leave it in the primary for 3-4 weeks and then bottle, but if i should secondary, then i'll go get a carboy. thanks,

nick

I usually do the same thing. I don't strain the wort, unless I have tons of hops that will take up too much room in the fermenter (like in an IIPA or something). The hops sludge will settle to the bottom with the trub and you'll be fine.

Back