Cleaning and Sanitizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burns629

Reaction score
Just curious if anybody else cleans their equipment with a cleanser after using and then before the next batch only sanitizes? Thats what I've been doing lately; cleaning with Straight-A after every use then storing it in a rubbermaid container until its a new brew day and only sanitizing with Idophor before using again. My thought is that everything was cleaned and then went into a clean container so cleaning shouldn't be necessary again, only sanitizing.

I've been doing it this way for about a 12 brews and haven't had any problems. Just wondering if i should be more OCD by cleaning after using - store - clean again - and then sanitize or just stick with the current clean - store - sanitize? Of course i know it wouldn't hurt to throw in another cleaning, but just want to see how everybody else out there does it.

Once the item is clean there is no reason to clean it again if its stored in a closed container. I sometimes rinse then sanitize but don't see a need to wash it again.

I run an Oxi - clean solution through my system using the pumps and re-heat everything during the boil to about 140, then run off down the driveway while filling with fresh rinse water until all the soap is gone. Before brewing I do the same thing.

Linc

I clean once after brewing/bottling. I usually just give it a quick rinse in plain tap water then sanitize. Never had any issues.

This is helpful, because I have been cleaing at the end of a brew session and also at the beginning.

I was beginning to wonder if this was a waste of time and cleanser and it seems it is!

Thanks for the question!

Clean thoroughly, store, sanitize and use. I've always done this, why sanitize it, store it, just to sanitize it again? As long as you do it pre-brewing on brew day you're golden.

Once the item is clean there is no reason to clean it again if its stored in a closed container. I sometimes rinse then sanitize but don't see a need to wash it again.

+1

You can't leave it grungy after use so you have to clean it then. But I just rinse or if it looks good, just straight into the sanitizer.

For the pre-boil items, (MLT, HLT, etc) I don't even sanitize cause it's gonna boil anyway.

Its a common theme to 'clean after use, sanitize before using'. A mantra even.

If you indeed cleaned it right the first time, you don't need to re-clean unless its been long enough to get really dusty. (i.e. months between brews)

I just pulled off my SS braided hose w/coupler/ball valve/bulkhead setup from my MLT cooler and dismantled it. I cleaned religiously after ever batch, but I can't recall ever taking apart the bulkhead. There was some serious nasty crap in the threading of the nipple and on both o-rings (each side of the bulkhead). This has me wanting to clean this stuff more often, especially since i've upgraded to an all SS setup w/a keggle MLT.

Back