Second phase of fermentation / cons and pros

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beauvafr

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong :

1 phase
5-10 days
Taste may suffer
More sedimentation

2 phases
5-10 days for the first phase
2 weeks for the second
Better taste
Less sedimentation

And with a conical fermenter you can do the 2 phase 5-10 days + 2 weeks in the same tank while flushing the sediments after the fermentation has slowed?

What? Are you talking about primary and secondary fermentations?

If so, there is no second or phase 2 fermentation. Secondary is used by some people because they think they need to get the beer off of the yeast. Most of us now use only primary and never secondary. Secondary doesn't affect the taste and carries higher risk of oxidation and infection.

With a conical you can drop the cone after fermentation is done so you really don't need to transfer to secondary.

Thanks Chumpstick. But..

With a conical you can drop the cone after fermentation is done so you really don't need to transfer to secondary.

If I don't want to do a second phase, why should I want to transfer to secondary (without conical)? I am confused.. ;)

Some other questions I have :

• If I don't do the second phase, how many days after the fermentation has stopped should I wait before to bottle?
  • Should I filter the beer before bottling (while transferring to second bucket for priming with sugar) ?
    Is the single stage fermentation recommended with Belgian style beer?

Thanks in advance guys!

Some other questions I have :

• If I don't do the second phase, how many days after the fermentation has stopped should I wait before to bottle?
  • Should I filter the beer before bottling (while transferring to second bucket for priming with sugar) ?
    Is the single stage fermentation recommended with Belgian style beer?

Thanks in advance guys!

Give the beer at least a week or so in primary. When you think fermentation is done take a gravity reading with hydrometer for 3 consecutive days to make sure the gravity is stable before bottling. You may want to give the beer more time in primary to condition or clean up any off flavors. That part is a matter of opinion and only you can make the call there. Once you think the beer is done fermenting/aging you rack to a bottling bucket with priming sugar. No need to filter your beer if you waited long enough for the yeast to drop out. Secondary does not clear the beer any faster than primary.

Regardless of style you can and should do just a single stage fermentation (primary only).

There's a ton of reading on this subject on these forums and a lot of great information. Look around and do some reading.

Bottom line is you never have to do a secondary unless you really want to or if you're dumping your beer on fruit or something.

Bottom line is you never have to do a secondary unless you really want to or if you're dumping your beer on fruit or something.

+1 for these clear explanations. Thanks again Chump. ;)

WHat does 'dumping your beer on fruit' means ?

By 'dumping your beer on fruit' He is referring to adding fruit to flavor the beer. Fruit, Chocolate, coffee, extra hops, etc. can be added to a secondary fermenter to infuse the flavors into the beer for a few weeks.

I alwys rack mine off the yeast bed after fermentation, I almost never dump it though. but my opinion and remeber they're like holes every has a t least one often many more :mug:

@Matt thanks for clarifying ;)

@Goodman Rack of the yeast?? what does it means?

@myself OMG, I'm so newb! :)

Back