TSP and plastic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllHoppedUp

Reaction score
I bought some used carboys that were pretty filthy. Previous owner made wine and they had the wine equivalent of krausen rings at the top and some kind of white mineral-looking deposit at the bottom. I tried soaking with water, bleach water, iodophor water, star-san water (pretty much every cleaner and/or sanitizer at my disposal) and scrubbing with carboy brush and
couldn't get rid of the nasties. LBHS guy recommended TSP (trisodium phosphate) and it worked like a charm!! Everything was gone in a matter of minutes.

So, my question is: can you use this stuff with plastic? Or will it corrode? Can't find any indications on the packaging. The carboys also came with some stoppers and airlocks that need a good cleaning. I also have a length of siphon tubing with some crusties in it. If TSP is the miracle cure that would be great, but I don't want to try it and ruin a bunch of stuff.

AHU

TSP (TSP90/Red Devil) is known as Lye. Be very careful handling that stuff and rinse very thoroughly.

I don't know about uses with plastic, sorry.

TSP90 by Red Devil "contains no phosphorus, soap, lye or abrasive" (doesn't say what it does contain).

TSP is tri-sodium phosphate. This was a major component in general purpose cleaners until the 1970's when it was identified as causing major algae problems in lakes and waterways. It will clean just about anything, including plastics.

Mindflux said:
TSP (TSP90/Red Devil) is known as Lye. Be very careful handling that stuff and rinse very thoroughly.

I don't know about uses with plastic, sorry.

Just wanted to add additional warning here. Sodium Hydroxide,NaOH, is pretty nasty. IT WILL BURN!. Burn holes in clothing, burn your skin, will blind you within seconds. You do not want to breath this in. It cleans drains well for a reason. Check accident information, but I believe that you use large amounts of water. Wear safety goggles and thick gloves and work in an ventilated area. This stuff is not to be screwed with lightly.

Here is a safety link:

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/MHMI/mmg178.html

Interestingly you use Lye to make pretty basic things... like soap.

Michael_Schaap said:
Just wanted to add additional warning here. Sodium Hydroxide,NaOH, is pretty nasty.

To clarify, I'm not using Sodium Hydroxide. It's just plain old Trisodium Phosphate. Nevertheless, I am following all safety precautions on the label. Thanks for tips!

The pink sanitizing powder is just TSP (and yes, that's tri sodium phosphate - it's soap with a real bad attitude) and chlorine.

TSP is great. USe gloves.

TSP alone is NOT a sanitizer.

Back