Best SMaSH recipe you've made???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmybeer

Reaction score
I was thinking about doing a Vienna and Citra SMaSH with some San Francisco Lager Yeast I have laying around that I need to use up. Just going to test it out as a small batch first and then use the yeast cake for a Baltic Porter.

Just curious as to what your favorite SMaSH recipe has been.

I have only made one SMaSH and it was a Vienna/Northern Brewer SMaSH. It turned out amazing and I want to brew it again using the SF Lager yeast. I just brewed up a Baltic Porter with that yeast and it's great too. That yeast is now my house yeast.

I've only used it the one time on a California Common but it was amazing. I got unexpectedly great attenuation from it and a terrifically smooth beer. I may keep washing and saving for a few more batches if this one turns out as well.

I did a simple IPA with a single hop. Columbus: very good. Yeast was 001. Made three such brews using different hops. Columbus was the most memorable. All late additions.
Pat

10lbs Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner Malt
4oz Czech Saaz Hops (FWH, 60, 10, 2)
Urquell yeast

The FG sample was so good, I made a second batch before the first one was done lagering. And now that is almost gone. Sigh.

16 lb Marris Otter
6 oz Cascade (90, 60, 15, 5, dry (2 oz))
Pac NW Yeast

Awesome. I :heart: MO.

Marris Otter is downright delicious. Nice dry, bready, toasty aftertaste.

My MO/Columbus IPA SMaSH came out incredible, drinking one right now.

RO water + 4gm CaCl2 + 1gm CaSO4
10lb Briess Pils
Double decoction 131-155-165ºF
1.5oz leaf German Spalt Select 5.6% @60
1.5oz leaf German Spalt Select 5.6% @10
Wyeast 2308 @50ºF

I've done this one 5 times now, with some variations:
Batch 1: as above
Batch 2: Bittered with 3.5% Crystal pellets. Not as good, a little citrus and apple.
Batch 3: Pitched a little warm. Tropical fruit esters didn't calm down until the hops had nearly faded.
Batch 4: Bin at Whole Foods marked Briess Pils (yes, the WF here sells HB supplies (and has a beer bar inside!)) turned out to contain what I guess was Light Munich. This batch was higher gravity (13 lbs malt) and bitterness (3 oz 4% SS @60) and drinks like an Arrogant Bastard lager.
Batch 5: CMC Pils malt and more bittering than above recipe. Actively fermenting now.

cabron99 said:
I did a simple IPA with a single hop. Columbus: very good. Yeast was 001. Made three such brews using different hops. Columbus was the most memorable. All late additions.
Pat

Interested in a columbus smash...do share the recipe please

Im going to try for my first Smash this sunday grains 5lbs Vienna and cenntenial hops 0.25 oz at 60 0.20 oz at 20 and 5 and notthingham yeast see how it goes for a 2.5 gallon batch and this will be my first all grain aswell so fingers crossed it goes well

Maris otter and Columbus was down right fantastic! .063 and 60 ibus. I also toasted 2lbs of grain in the oven for 45 minutes.

MO and Cascade is great too. Heard MO and Fuggles is good, planning to do that next week.

I like the idea of toasting the grains.

BPS531 said:
10lbs Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner Malt
4oz Czech Saaz Hops (FWH, 60, 10, 2)
Urquell yeast

The FG sample was so good, I made a second batch before the first one was done lagering. And now that is almost gone. Sigh.

Have 10gal of this still in primary...with Wyeast 2278 CZ Pils. It was a triple decoction with Weyermann's floor malted pils. The samples so far taste perfect. Used Czech Saaz and a 120 minute boil.

greggreg66 said:
MO and Cascade is great too. Heard MO and Fuggles is good, planning to do that next week.

I like the idea of toasting the grains.

I have a MO and Fuggles barley wine/bitter partigyle planned for my next brew. Was going to throw in a bit of crystal too though.

I have a MO and Fuggles barley wine/bitter partigyle planned for my next brew. Was going to throw in a bit of crystal too though.

Get some crystal MO... :D

I've made it a point to always have my MO/EKG SMaSH brew/recipe available (on tap or soon to be). The keg that's in waiting was mashed a bit higher than the last batch (154 this time) which should add a bit more body and malt backbone to it. :rockin: The sample I tasted when I kegged it was damned good. Hop bursting it means I still have a good amount of flavor and aroma hops even after two months from brewing. :D

Golddiggie said:
Get some crystal MO... :D

I've made it a point to always have my MO/EKG SMaSH brew/recipe available (on tap or soon to be). The keg that's in waiting was mashed a bit higher than the last batch (154 this time) which should add a bit more body and malt backbone to it. :rockin: The sample I tasted when I kegged it was damned good. Hop bursting it means I still have a good amount of flavor and aroma hops even after two months from brewing. :D

I bought Thomas Faucett & Sons crystal II and a half sack of MO. Should be good.

Golddiggie said:
I don't believe that's actually made with Maris Otter (the crystal II). If it is, can you provide documentation to back it up? It would be nice if they made all their British Crystal Malts with MO.

I have no idea if it is or isn't made with MO. I meant that I bought both in bulk. I will use both in my next brew.

The crystal is much maltier than domestic crystal and it made a good addition to a pale that I just brewed this past month.

I have no idea if it is or isn't made with MO. I meant that I bought both in bulk. I will use both in my next brew.

The crystal is much maltier than domestic crystal and it made a good addition to a pale that I just brewed this past month.

That's the only crystal I use (the ones from TF) except for crystal MO. I'm using all British base malts and as many other malts as I can get. Which means all but one (honey) malt. :rockin:

That being said, unless the crystal malt is made with MO, you won't have a SMaSH recipe/brew. :drunk:

zachattack said:
Marris Otter is downright delicious. Nice dry, bready, toasty aftertaste.

I'll second that. Made a 3gal BIAB with:
7lb.s MO
3.25oz Cascade

The flavor and aroma were great- might be my favorite batch yet! I'm actually almost out of this one. Wanted to make some more, but I might have to try the MO/Columbus...

My favorite is either vienna-hallertau fermented with WLP550 or Thomas Fawsett MO and EKG standard bitter. Both were do drinkable and do flavorful.

The first SMaSH I brewed this past summer was Vienna, Cascade and s05 which came out great. Probably my 2nd favorite batch out of the 14 5g all grain batches I've brewed.

Gonna brew another one today with Vienna and either Apollo, Bravo, or Falconers Flight ( i know, technically not 1 hop but..) and s05. I havent decided which to use yet and probably wont til its time for my fwh.

Made a delicious brew with just 2-row and summit hops. Turned out extremely bright, full of tangerine flavor and aroma. One of my best beers to date, hands down. Keg only last a few hours with friends over.

Sometimes simple is the best policy.

Next Sunday I will be making a Citra smash pale ale with grain from a local maltster. The malt is like a more bready version of MO. I will be adding most of my hops at 10-5-flameout. I am not a giant fan of traditional APA's as they are usually all bitter and no flavor.

Yeah, I agree with above. I want to try chucking more hops in later on in the boil as I usually put more in at the start! All good though

I'm a few days from bottling and I have no idea how the final product will end up but I brewed my first SmaSH a few weeks ago:

10.5 LB Gambrinus Pale Malt
.5 oz Nelson Sauvin FWH
1 oz Nelson Sauvin 10 min
1 oz Nelson Sauvin flame out
.5 oz Nelson Sauvin last 5 days in primary
1 oz Nelson Sauvin 5 days in secondary
US-05

I just finished a Vienna/Cascade SMaSH. Probably the best beer I've made yet. Double batch sparged and did 120 minute boil.

Recipe for a 1.5 gallon batch:

4 pounds Vienna

.25 oz cascade leafs (8.9% AA) @ 120 minutes
.25 oz cascade leafs (8.9% AA) @ 90 minutes
.25 oz cascade leafs (8.9% AA) @ 50 minutes
.25 oz cascade leafs (8.9% AA) @ 1 minute

Use WLP001, but ferment really low. I fermented at 62-63 for 5.5 weeks.

Calculators put it at about 70 IBU.

I just tasted a bottle that had only conditioned for one week, but it was superb compared to other beers I've done. The only thing I would do next time is add a 15 minute addition and a dry hop addition. The hop aroma is there, but I want a bit more.

Does the Vienna attenuate? I'd never think of using it as a base malt.

zachattack said:
It's definitely a base malt. Ever have a Vienna lager?

Ya but didn't think it was all Vienna - I thought it was named for the region it comes from.

Well it is, but a lot of the recipes use Vienna as the base malt. I think of Vienna as a tamer, nuttier version of Munich, and there are plenty of styles that are almost all Munich (dunkel, bock, marzen, alt, etc.)

Latest posts

Back