when to transfer a honey wheat to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farfromrice

Reaction score
Well I decided to brew a sweet honey wheat for my summertime brew and I have heard that most of the honey flavors don't come through due to the fermentation process. But, if you add more in the secondary then the flavors come through. But, I don't know when to transfer some say 7 days some say let it the fermentation process stop and the transfer and add the honey to kick off another fermentation process. Any suggestions would be nice. thanks,:tank:
FaRfRoMrIcE

With a wheat beer yeast pitched at the right rate and proper temperature fermentation should be complete by 7 days.

Using hard and fast # of days criteria is not as good as knowing your fermentation. Fermentation is complete when the bubbling activity in your airlock substantially decreases - but not necessarily stops - and the yeast flocculate and fall to the bottom. This is where doing primary fermentation in a carboy is really helpfull as you can see what is going on.

Well I think 7 days is the ticket because, the frist day there was a lot of activity airlock was going crazy but it started to slow way down on the 6th day so I might transfer it tomorrow and add 1lb more of honey. And it will be in the secondary hopefully only 7 days max. Depending on the hydometer readings

Well I think everything went as well as planed I checked the primary this morning and the airlock moved once about every 20 seconds. So I added one more pound of honey to the secondary and then racked into the secondary and now the airlock is moving once every three seconds. So that tells me that it is fermenting again !!!! :p :p :p :drunk:

Latest posts

Back