Hop question for a created recipie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RRR_BrewCo

Reaction score
First of all, thanks in advance for anyone who helps me out with this.

I'm building an ipa recipe and I had a question about the hop selection I was going to use. Apart from some specialty grains I have yet to determine, I was going to use 6lbs of Pilsen lme and 1lbs of briess Pilsen lme.

The question was my hop combo.

I was planning on using 1oz of centennial for bittering, .5oz of cascade at 50min, .5oz of cascade at 55min and the. 1oz of cascade to dry hop in secondary.

My question is does centennial work well with cascade? If no, what wold be a good bittering option if I wanted to keep the cascades as they are?

Cent and cascade work together fine. With the cent being a bittering hop here, it really will not have any character in the beer.

I think you have your timings confused. A 60 minute addition is the bittering addition, and is added 60 minutes before the end of the boil. I think your cascade additions should be 10 and 5 minute additions (near the end of the boil with 10 and 5 minutes to go).

Add a pound of Crystal 60 and you will be close to a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Yeah I know what you mean. I totally meant 10 min left and 5 min left, I just wrote that crap in all ass backwards. Would there be a better bittering hop rather than centennial? I love the cascade flavor and aroma

That schedule will be great. There's several beers that use centennial for bittering. Ever have Bell's Two Hearted? That is all Centennial hops. That is an IPA but your recipe looks like it would be a nice tasty pale ale

That schedule will be great. There's several beers that use centennial for bittering. Ever have Bell's Two Hearted? That is all Centennial hops. That is an IPA but your recipe looks like it would be a nice tasty pale ale

^ agree.
You'll prolly want at least 3oz of hops somewhere throughout the boil for an IPA.

60min boil 1oz cent
30min boil 1oz cascade
10min boil 1oz cascade
5days of 1oz cascade dryhopped

You could add the 1oz cenntenial at 60 minutes for the bittering. Check out my recipe "BuckIPA" for flavor & dry hop amounts & times. You def need more hops for an IPA.

Now I have a follow up because of some hops I managed I acquire. My lhbs has quite a stockpile of citra hops so I picked up 4oz of them. Given the hops that I have on stock now (1oz centennial, 2oz cascade, 4oz citra), anyone have any suggestions for an ipa? I was thinkin:
1oz centennial for 60 min
1oz citra for 30 min
1oz citra for 15 min
1oz citra for 5 min
1oz citra and 1oz cascade for dry hopping

Other ideas? I really want the citra to shine through

Keep the centennial @ 60,
1oz Cita @ 25,
1oz Cita @ 15,
1oz Citra @ 10,
& the dry hop amounts & types for 1 week after FG.

Now I have a follow up because of some hops I managed I acquire. My lhbs has quite a stockpile of citra hops so I picked up 4oz of them. Given the hops that I have on stock now (1oz centennial, 2oz cascade, 4oz citra), anyone have any suggestions for an ipa? I was thinkin:
1oz centennial for 60 min
1oz citra for 30 min
1oz citra for 15 min
1oz citra for 5 min
1oz citra and 1oz cascade for dry hopping

Other ideas? I really want the citra to shine through

Centennial has a floral/citrus taste, while cascade is purely citrus. Citra screams MANGO (tropical fruit) so I don't like it alone. 30 minute hops additions are a bit of a waste for citra- you don't get much bitterness, but it's boiled to long to get the citra flavor.

Here's what I'd do:

1 oz centennial 60 minutes
1 oz citra 15 minutes
1 oz cascade 10 minutes
1 oz citra 5 minutes
1 oz citra 0 minutes
dryhop 1 oz citra and 1 oz cascade

Thanks unionrdr and yooper for the killer advice! I def will use centennial a the bittering and ten will prolly follow very close to what yooper said. Hope it turns out awesome!

Back