What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soaked off labels and washed bottles. Friend dropped of 2 cases of Fat Tire bottles. 4 went straight in the trash, I was not dealing with someones chew spit... rest got a 3 hour soak in hot water and PBW. One of my favorite bottles as far as removing labels. They float off. Also tossed in 6 Lift Bridge(Duluth MN) bottles, I had to use a razor blade to get the labels off those... since I doubt I will buy that beer ever again I won't have to do that again!

Importers in China put translated labels on the back of bottles that have a glossy coating (hard to soak) and glue that will be on this planet long after the cockroaches die out. I've found that when you've got difficult labels like that, giving them a bunch of random slits with a knife before soaking allows a much better soak and makes removing the labels a lot easier.

Alternately, if the labels have a thick but uniform sticky backing like Brewdogs beers, a regular water soak sometimes loosens them up enough to pull off in one piece while an Oxy soak often deteriorates them just enough that you have to pull them off in tons of sticky pieces.

Some labels are simply terrible, but for many it's just a matter of following the right strategy for the right label.

Picked up some super cheap Cascade hops of questionable origin and started two 1.2 liter side-by-side all-DME test batches to compare Yakima Chief cascade hops and these cheap ones. Had enough wort left over (by design) to mix the dregs of both in a third water-bottle fermenter and pitch some wild yeast I caught in a forgotten hydrometer sample a couple months ago. Let the party begin!

Brewing up a batch of a "clone" of a local traditionally brewed vienna lager. Guys at the local brew shop have been fine tuning a clone for forever and I'm making a batch with the latest untested tweak. Hopefully this one turns out well because I'm really looking forward to it.

Put together a new Blickman burner and did a deep clean on my boil kettle ball valve.

More work on the brew stand, built the burner shelves. I know those burners will heat the wood underneath them so I left a gap on purpose to help cool things. Need to bolt the lower one down after I decide if I need to raise it more so I can gravity drain to a bottling bucket. Upper shelf needs to be bolted down and I need 2 L brackets on the uprights for safety.

IMG_20160518_1711264581_zpsefpqncbs.jpg

I'm trying to figure out some guy hasn't snatched you up! Great work!

I bottled off two kegs today to kill them. Then cleaned them up and kegged an amber and a mocktoberfest ale. My plan is to let the mocktoberfest sit in my keezer until September and start drinking it then. Not sure I will be able to resist for that long.

Bottled my Wit. I added juiced nectarines at flameout and left out any kind of orange peel, and I think it succeeded in imparting a stone fruit note in place of citrus.

Also brewed a White IPA bittered with Warrior, 5 oz. of Equinox in a theoretically 0 IBU hopstand at 170 degrees, which will be dry hopped with 3 oz. of Equinox.

View attachment 355213

Bottled 50 bottles of my Cherry BMC clone. 4.6%abv. Nice and clean, crisp drinker. Can't wait for it to be carbed!

Hey Tactiacl:
I cant help but notice your caps don't look like they are fully crimped..You may want to recheck them...They look like long shoulder bottles but those crimps look like the ones I get when I try to cap shot shouldered bottles. Maybe its all in the camera lens distortion or something but they look incompletely crimped to me.

Hey Tactiacl:

I cant help but notice your caps don't look like they are fully crimped..You may want to recheck them...They look like long shoulder bottles but those crimps look like the ones I get when I try to cap shot shouldered bottles. Maybe its all in the camera lens distortion or something but they look incompletely crimped to me.

Looks to me like the photo is pre-crimp.

Hey Tactiacl:

Looks to me like the photo is pre-crimp.

Yep, I snapped the pic before I crimped them. I was crimping and SWMBO was putting them away as soon as I was done. Little assembly line action going on :rockin: so I wanted to get a pic before they were all put up in boxes to carb up lol

Lets see, toasted 4 lbs of coconut to go in the coconut milk stout, put together a 6.5 gallon raspberry lime cider kit, fished the collar of my keezer, chaulkboard sprayed the top of the freezer, stained the collar, ran all the airlines, marked the collar for the shanks and then couldn't find a single freaking 1/4 inch drill bit in either of my 3 kits...the one thing i needed to do to finish today...who loses 3 drill bits in the same size

Bottled a batch of a Rye Coffee Stout. Hydrometer sample was quite tasty. I just hope I have enough willpower to let them age for a few months.

Cleaned my new 10 gal SS Brew Tech kettle and polished up my old kettle to sell. Bought new copper tubing for new wort chiller.

Racked my Spruce Ale to secondary this morning.
Had a little sample. Seems to have the flavor profile I was looking for.
There is more than just a hint of the spruce taste.
I am going to pick some more fresh tips, vacuum pack, freeze and try this later in the fall again.

Today I placed the order for my next 2 batches.
Cream of 3 Crops &
None More Black

Should be here tomorrow some time according to the folks at ritebrew.com

going to be my first brews since January and I'm kinda jonesing for a brew day.

This looks. Really sweet. What kind of wood is that, looks like redwood? And what are the dimensions of the boxing wood on the bottom?

I used the new weather shield pressure treaded wood safe for gardens. The dimension of each box base is 10w x 3d x 18 inch H. Boards for base were 1x6s. Each box will be filled with 12 inches of good gardening potting/top soil with 6 inches original clay underneath. The trellis is built with 4x4x12 poles buried 1ft into original clay, holes filled with rock and the will have the additional 12 inches of added soil. The headers are made of 2x8x12 boards that were dog eared on the ends. Beams were bolted in at base in 3 spots per with 3/8th lag bolts.

Still to be done is run horizontal balauster 2x2s across the top for horizontal support and growth for plants as well as fill boxes with dirt, run twine and plant hops and other assorted veggies.

Winemaker brewing 1st batch of beer! Brewers best IPA... here we go with another brewdiction...

Okay, so this is more of a what I did for beer this week kinda thing - busy week...
  • got ingredients for 10g Pilsener at the blessed LHBS
  • made separate starters of the Wyeast Czech Pils and Wyeast Budvar strains
  • brewed up 10g Pilsener wort and split into two 5g carboys in separate ferm chambers, pitched starters
  • bottled 3 beers, 4 bottles each, packed and shipped to Ballast Point's OG20 competition
  • bottled another 3 beers for a local competition at Cask Republic
  • kegged a Robust Porter, ahem, excuse me, an American Porter, that had been aging in a 5 liter Bourbon barrel for a month
  • ordered a roll of stickers with the beer label artwork as a freebie for the beer I'll be pouring at a fundraiser in 2 weeks
  • ...and of course: kept the hops watered

And I suspect I'm not done for the week yet :)

Last edited:
I used the new weather shield pressure treaded wood safe for gardens. The dimension of each box base is 10w x 3d x 18 inch H. Boards for base were 1x6s. Each box will be filled with 12 inches of good gardening potting/top soil with 6 inches original clay underneath. The trellis is built with 4x4x12 poles buried 1ft into original clay, holes filled with rock and the will have the additional 12 inches of added soil. The headers are made of 2x8x12 boards that were dog eared on the ends. Beams were bolted in at base in 3 spots per with 3/8th lag bolts.

Still to be done is run horizontal balauster 2x2s across the top for horizontal support and growth for plants as well as fill boxes with dirt, run twine and plant hops and other assorted veggies.

...and it looks like you stained it to get that redwood look - am I right?

I just found this weathershield stuff for sale at the depot and I was just about to build out a few new hops beds so thanks again for the timely post!

I just found this weathershield stuff for sale at the depot and I was just about to build out a few new hops beds so thanks again for the timely post!

Didn't touch the wood outside of putting it together. The weather shield was that red in store.

Didn't touch the wood outside of putting it together. The weather shield was that red in store.

Second coat of polyurethane on the burner shelves. Bolted down the burner on the metal part of the stand and revamped how I mounted the casters so they were closer to ground contact.

And not beer but I enjoyed a fresh picked garden salad!!! First greens of the spring always taste so good! Thinned a few of the larger radishes and put them in it too.

Back