pasteurize?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwaite

Reaction score
I keep seeing stuff about people pasteurizing there bottled cider in there dishwasher ... I bottled my cider way after farmenting stopped. Do I still need to do this. I bottled it in the half gal sangrea bottles 'sorry do the spelling ' .

If your cider fermented fully and you didn't add any sugar to backsweeten, then you don't need to pasteurize. A small amount of sugar for carbonation is okay if you use bottles that can take the pressure (beer bottles, champagne bottles, etc).

Pasteurization is typically done when people want a sweeter cider and need to avoid additional fermentation.

So if I was only letting it farment half way or what ever then I would need to bottle it an do that ?

I have a similar question where fermentation has not ceased after 3 weeks like my first batch did (it's cooler now ~61F and am using maple syrup instead of honey like last time)

Even though fermentation is not totally ceased, I was thinking to add 1 lb corn sugar to this 5 gal batch today then bottle to get a fizzy cider in ~2-3 weeks.

Sound OK?

Happy New Yar,

Monty

Latest posts

Back