yeast and cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshman

Reaction score
So, I've been perusing the cider files in preparation of my first cider. There is a lot of discussion of dry and sweet ciders and how to prepare them, but I was wondering if rather than adding extra/less sugar, should I just use different yeasts...champgne yeast if I'm shooting for dry, or a ale yeast for a sweeter (and lower alcohol as a side effect) beverage.

Thoughts?

Since the sugars in cider are mainly simple sugars like fructose (unlike ales) and the OG isn't very high (unlike wine or mead), trying to control the final sugar content by selecting the yeast doesn't work very well. Regardless of the yeast I've used, the ciders end up bone dry (FG 0.995 or so). What works best is to kill the yeast at the end and add sugars or add lactose.

OK, I think I get it. My wife is purty particular to dry ciders, so dry or sweet, I don't lose as long as it's not vinegar. Thanks!

So lemme see if I got the basics:

Straight cider, no preservatives

Yeast, preferably champagne grade

Couple weeks in primary

Couple weeks in secondary

Couple weeks in bottles

Seems simple enough...wish me luck.

marshman said:
Straight cider, no preservatives

Yeast, preferably champagne grade

Couple weeks in primary

Couple weeks in secondary

Couple weeks in bottles

You can use any neutral beer yeast, I prefer Nottingham. Your time shedule is a little agressive, I doubt that your cider will be clear, carbonated and drinkable in that short a period. I would count on 3-4 months total.

Thanks,Mikey...so if I substitute "4" for 'couple' in the timetable I should be OK. Thanks a lot.

Back