Reusing a yeast cake ????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
when reusing a yeast cake, can I stir it up or do I just rack on top of it? My aeriation method thus far is to hold the brew pot about 4 feet above the fermentor and pour it in. I generally have a huge head of foam...can I do this on top of a yeast cake or not? Also what is the time frame I am working with? Do I need to put the new wort in immediately or do I have some time in between?

Are you fermenting in a bucket? I would say that pouring your CHILLED wort directly over the yeast cake would work fine as long as you are really mixing that yeast up in the process. However, you should consider recollecting the yeast cake and separating off the yeast from the trub and then repitching. That way all the trub isn't in your fermenter with your new batch.

Are you fermenting in a bucket? I would say that pouring your CHILLED wort directly over the yeast cake would work fine as long as you are really mixing that yeast up in the process. However, you should consider recollecting the yeast cake and separating off the yeast from the trub and then repitching. That way all the trub isn't in your fermenter with your new batch.
yes I meant chiled wort. So you are saying I should wash the yeast prior to reusing it? Ok gotta read up on how to do that. I was thinking rack beer #1 into secondary then pour beer #2 right on top of the trub.OH YEAH, yes in a bucket

I'm saying that you would probably be fine if you just poured your wort onto the old yeast cake, but if you have the time and the desire to learn a new procedure, separating out the trub is a better way to go. This will also help you recapture only the most viable yeast.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Washing_yeast

I just went through that thread! Thanks for the link though.. Now with washing the yeast does it matter what type of beer you use next? I see folks talking about pitching on the yeast cake but they recommend going to a darker beer than the last one to minimize flavors carrying over. with the washed yeast is this a concern?

I haven't had a problem with flavors carrying over. If I used a 1056 for one batch, I'll reuse the yeast for another batch that calls for 1056. It doesn't matter to me if the second batch is lighter or darker. However, I do sometimes step up the OG as I progress. First pitch might be a session beer at 1.040 and the next might be 1.050 and so on.

Just make sure the yeast is appropriate for the style of beer you are brewing. If your last batch was a wheat beer, don't reuse that wheat yeast on your next batch which is an IPA.

Back