How Do I Make an Extract Flanders Red/Sour Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Extract Flanders Red Update:

Upon the advise of numerous posters in this thread and others (thanks!), I racked this batch to my secondary fermenter last night. I tasted it while doing so and the flavor is spot on for a Flanders Red. Tasted a bit like Rodenbach mixed with Jolly Pumpkin's Rouge (without the sour bite of course since it's only been 1 month). The color is also spot on. Now I'll be watching for pellicle and leaving it along for a year. Guess I'll just have to get another 5 gallon secondary so I can keep up my brewing pace.

When moving it to secondary, if you move the oak cubes/chips, shouldn't they carry a good amount of yeast and bugs you want over if you don't attempt to sanatize them? Would that help the long term souring?

Ok, I need some help with this one again.

My Flanders has been sitting in the basement for about 6 months now. There has been some bacterial action happening as I can see some evidence on the surface of the beer (I pitched the Wyeast Lambic Blend). Unfortunately, I didn't really think ahead and the beer is in a 5 gallon fermenter with hardly any head space and a nice pelicile has failed to form (I'm guessing because there is very little surface area for it to work with and less oxygen exposure). Since I want this to end up like Rodenbach Grand Cru, I'm thinking about transferring it to a 6.5 gallon carboy and pitching the Roeselare blend of bugs and yeast to increase the sourness.

Can anyone advise me if this is a good move or should I just wait it out the way things are? Thanks!

Latest posts

Back