early rack to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackwaterbrewer

Reaction score
i messed up on my calender and racked my 90 schilling to the secondary fermenter after only 3-1/2 days. the bubbles had slowed after a vigorous start and the kraussen had fallen in. the specific gravity was 1.012 at 68 degrees F. I have never had this happen, should I worry? I am getting very little air lock activity after 12 hours in the secondary. any comments are greatly appreciated.

I would have waited a few more days even weeks in the primary before racking to secondary.

I wouldn't worry, you might have more trub on the bottom of the fermenter when you rack to the bottling bucker or keg, so be careful with that.

yeah, i looked at my calender and thought it i had brewed it a week earlier. the specific gravity was pretty close to what it should finish at, that may be why it isn't bubbling much. i was thinking i might have lost some of the yeast flavor by taking it off the sediment bed too early.

Back