Dogfish "Raison D'extra" clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philhead1

Reaction score
Looking for a Dogfish head "raison D'extra" recipe, not all grain. loved the flavor but only wanting 1/2 the alcohol. or just a good base to start with and about how much raisons and brown sugar to use?

ANYONE!!! would really appreciate. just looking for a cinnamon raison toast( buttered) type recipe to go from, don't really want ohe 18% ABV way to much.

Yea your looking for the D'etre. It's good but even at 8% a little hot, I have an D'extra downstairs and I don't even want to open it because I know it's going to be...intense.

Yea your looking for the D'etre. It's good but even at 8% a little hot, I have an D'extra downstairs and I don't even want to open it because I know it's going to be...intense.

You are in luck, A spot in my cellar JUST opened up. PM me and I'll shoot you my address :D

I had the D'extra first you get the jet fuel burn of the alchohol, but goes into a NICE cinnamon raison toast which is what I'm looking for. just a good sipper for whenever. thinking about a fat tyre to start then just guess at the brown sugar and raison, with the SA-05 to eat it all up. BUT have to wait until my american amber/ pumpkin pie ale bottles are empty. hoping to get some kegs by christmas.. (wink,wink my lovely wife).

OH the irony. I just cracked a bottle of D'Extra. 07 bottle. I think I read that this was the last year that they had made a batch of D'Extra. It is very intenste. Loads of alcohol and malty sweetness fading away to a big kick in the pants with some raisins.

I don't think your going to get close using US-05. I would probably go with one of the Belgian strains. Dogfishhead uses a Belgian yeast for the D'etra and D'extra.

Found my book

Raison D'Etre
Ingredients
Preboil Tea at 150F
6 gallons water
grain bag
4 oz. Crushed 40L crystal malt
8 oz. Crushes light chocolate malt

Boil
8 lbs light dry malt extract
1/2 oz warrior hops (60 minutes)
2 cups hot wort from brewpot (10 minutes)
6 oz. Pureed raisins (10 minutes)
8 oz. Belgian Candi sugar (10 minutes)
1/2 oz. Vanguard hops (end of boil)

Fermentation
Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ale

Bottling
5 oz. Priming sugar

OG 1.078
FG 1.016
ABV 8%
IBU 25

In brew pot, heat water to 150F. Put grains in grainbag and steep 15 minutes.

Remove grainbag. Bring to boil. Combine raisins with 2 cups of wort from brewpot and purée until smooth

Remove from heat and add DME

Return to boil

After 15 minutes add warrior hops for 60 minute boil.

10 minutes before boil end, add raisins and Candi sugar.

At end of boil add vanguard hops. Remove kettle from heat, stir to create whirlpool, cover and let sit 20 minutes.

Cool wort and rack to a fermentor leaving as many solids behind as possible.

Pitch at 71F - 74F

Rack after 7 to 14 days. Condition in secondary for 14 to 20 days more.

Bottle.

Looking for a Dogfish head "raison D'extra" recipe, not all grain. loved the flavor but only wanting 1/2 the alcohol. or just a good base to start with and about how much raisons and brown sugar to use?

You are either a deliberate or natural comedian.

The name of the beer is "Raison d'etre." From the French, translates roughly "Reason for being."

No raisins.

Not anything "extra."

That is all.

Found my book

Raison D'Etre
Ingredients
Preboil Tea at 150F
6 gallons water
grain bag

Boil

Fermentation
Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ale

Bottling
5 oz. Priming sugar

OG 1.078
FG 1.016
ABV 8%
IBU 25

Remove grainbag. Bring to boil. Combine raisins with 2 cups of wort from brewpot and purée until smooth

Return to boil

At end of boil add vanguard hops. Remove kettle from heat, stir to create whirlpool, cover and let sit 20 minutes.

Pitch at 71F - 74F

Bottle.

Is this liquid or dry malt extract?

Hey Beernik,

Thanks for the post. I was curious what temp you condition in the primary? In the 2ndary? Do you keep it as high as the 3522 Ardennes allows? Cause in theory that could allow you to bubble away for the first week at like 80-85..would you concur or do you think greater tasting at a lower primary temp?

Best,

-Mike

Sorry I haven't been around for a while. The stimulus plan stimulated me into a bunch of overtime.

The book doesn't give a whole lot of specifics on temperature. It says, "Pitch the cooled wort with the Belgian ale yeast and ferment at around 71F to 74F."

I'd say do it like an Abby ale with the primary and secondary between 65F and 70F, 72F max.

I should say, I haven't tried this recipe. But I did base my Belgian Strong Barelywine on a combination of this, the Peppercorn Rye Bock in the same book plus a couple other changes. If I ever get it unstuck, I'll post how it went.

I finally got my beer mash using the Raison D as inspiration to finish it's fermentation. It's tastey, but at 10% is taking forever to carb.

I should say that a lot of European sugar is from sugar beets. They still grow them over there.

There used to be a lot of sugar beet farms in the US, but they were put out of business by corn and cane sugar farmers. It partly because of subsidies, but also because corn and cane sugar have a "cleaner" flavor. Sugar beet sugar retains some beet flavor.

If you care about getting the beet sugar flavor, then use it. If you don't, any invert sugar will do.

The name of the beer is "Raison d'etre." From the French, translates roughly "Reason for being."

No raisins.

Interesting, because the brewers there state explicitly that they use green raisins (from Iran according to my research) in the brew. Good luck finding them in the US though!

Wow. A 2006 sounds VERY good right now. It's the "I'm only gonna have one beer tonight" drink.

Anyone know if there a specific color of Belgian candi sugar used for this or have any experience brewing this with success using either?

I've seen both clear and dark and the recipe doesn't specify.

Thanks a ton...love this stuff, had it on tap once in Melbourne, FL.....MMMmmmm. Would be a hell of a great winter warmer to get goin before it gets cold!

I'm looking for the "extra" recipe, does anyone have it? I'm thinking it would be a lot like the 120 recipe as far as boosting the alcohol would be,but maybe with the belgian candi sugar?.
Any thoughts?....,B....

Found my book

Raison D'Etre
Ingredients
Preboil Tea at 150F
6 gallons water
grain bag

Boil

Fermentation
Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ale

Bottling
5 oz. Priming sugar

OG 1.078
FG 1.016
ABV 8%
IBU 25

Return to boil

Pitch at 71F - 74F

Bottle.

has anyone brewed this recipe? how does it turn out?

So Raison D'extra is the 18% ABV version of Raison D'etre. If I was trying to brew the D'extra version, I would do what DFH does with the 90min vs. 120min.

120min recipe is almost identical to brew as the 90min recipe, the big differences start once you pitch your yeast. I'll explain in the context of Raison D'extra:

Take the recipe listed in this thread, and brew it. There are a few slight changes:

-You're going to want to double the hop additions(at least), as this beer will probably need at least 50 IBU to be balanced.
-You're going to need to add more malt. If AG, 15-17# of 2-row depending on your eff%, or 11-12# of DME.
(To convert recipe to AG, just replace the DME with 2-row, pretty simple here)

At this point we've got a 1.100 OG, 50IBU version of Raison D'etre. Now the fun starts: Pitch your WYeast 3522. You're going to want to make a HUGE starter. I'm talking like 2-3 liter. Let this ferment out most of the way, I would try to get the gravity down into the 20's, but monitor the beer closly. Once you get your SG into the 20s, or once fermentation slows down:

You need about 10 pounds of Dextrose (corn sugar), and a vial of WLP099 - Super High Gravity yeast. A couple days before you need to pitch it, get the WLP099 going in a BIG starter, and divide the Dextrose evenly into 14 plastic bags(10-11oz per bag). Once fermentation with your WYeast 3522 starts to slow, add the starter of WLP099 (ideally at full krausen), and also add the first bag of dextrose into the beer. From this point, twice a day, you will adding a bag of dextrose to the beer. Monitor it closely, especially near the end of fermentation. You're going to want this beer to ideally finish up in the 1.030-1.040 range, so you might not add all your bags of corn sugar.

This is a VERY tedious and difficult beer to brew. I suggest listening to the brewing network's can you brew it: DFH 120 episode, as well as doing some searching on this site, as there are a few people that have tried to brew the 120min IPA. I imagine the process of brewing World Wide Stout, or Raison D'extra is identical to the 120min IPA once fermenation starts, so you can apply this technique to any 'base' beer.

Good luck!

Scotland thank you for the response however I was wondering if anyone had brewed the normal raison detre and how the original recipe in extreme brewing turned out compared to the commercial example?

No help on the recipe... but the D'extra was one of the worst beers I ever had. That is what happens when a big bad beer goes really wrong. Maybe i had a bad bottle, I've never been able to muster the courage to try again.

Brewed this 9 weeks ago tasted like rootbeer after bottle conditioning now it seems like its settling out does anyone have any ideas what's going on???

Is the Belgian candy sugar to blame or did I carb too much I used 5 oz of priming sugar for 5 gal

I just have to say, d'EXTRA is amazing.

I will attempt a clone recipe soon, but a beer like this should age for years before you start to get really great flavor. Once I get started with this monsterbrew I can post my ingredients and some pictures of how it's coming along!

Six months later this beer is amazing aging Much better after aging six months

Back