Festbier BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale (AG)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the consensus that S-04 is the proper yeast for this beer? I'll be brewing it up this year.

Depends on your taste. I've had variations of O-fests...some were malty sweet, others you'd have thought they were nothing more than an amber.

I lean towards the malty sweet when an O-fest is in season. Leaves turning. Air getting crisp. Still smell the fresh cut grass of Autumn.

If you're brewing this for a warmer weather event, and -05 might get this a bit dryer.

Depends on your taste. I've had variations of O-fests...some were malty sweet, others you'd have thought they were nothing more than an amber.

I lean towards the malty sweet when an O-fest is in season. Leaves turning. Air getting crisp. Still smell the fresh cut grass of Autumn.

If you're brewing this for a warmer weather event, and -05 might get this a bit dryer.

I like my beers a little on the more malty side & not too dry. When I think of this beer slightly sweet comes to mind.

i am going to brew this friday,
i have a quart of San Francisco Lager yeast from a batch of steam beer i made that i plan to use. i think that should work really nicely
what do you guys think?

i am going to brew this friday,
i have a quart of San Francisco Lager yeast from a batch of steam beer i made that i plan to use. i think that should work really nicely
what do you guys think?
Well I'd guess a QUART of lager yeast will work very well.

We'll be over in October. :D

Is the consensus that S-04 is the proper yeast for this beer? I'll be brewing it up this year.

I just don't see how S-04 fermented in the high 60s (F) could taste remotely like a lager. Nottingham can ferment at pretty low temps. If I did it. I'd go with a slight overpitch (10%) of Nottingham and ferment at 58 degrees F. Perhaps Biermuncher can weigh in on this one.

I'd like to know this as well. Do you just cut the recipe in half?

Essentially, yes.

If you don't have Beersmith or another brewing software program, cutting everything in half will get you there. However, you might want to get a calculator out and figure out what you'll need to get a 5.5 gallon batch out. Don't forget to allow for loss due to trub.

Thanks. I do have Beersmith but I need to play around with it more when I have time as I don't feel I'm using it to it's full potential. When you say getting a 5.5 gallon batch out do you mean tweaking the grain amounts to get to the proper og?

You want to pay attention top IBUs as well. Just cutting in half will not give you the same IBUs. Correct me if I'm wrong somebody. I think this will be my August brew. A nice quick Octoberfest :) Need to purchase some Krugs!

Couple of questions:
The munich I have on hand is 10L. Should I tweak one of the crystal malts up to compensate for color (in either quanity or color?)
currently with the 10L the SRM is at 12.

I only have about 1.5 oz tettnang on hand, but I do have Fuggles 4.5%, perle 8.3%, willamette (1 oz ea) and 2 oz Hallertau 3.9%?

Any sugestions on an alternate hopping schedule?
I was thinking
1oz perle 60min
1oz tettnang 45min
.5oz tettnang 30min
.5oz hallertau 30min

Puts my IBU at 24...

Or is it really worth it to spring the addlitional $5-7 for all tettnang? I need to stop at the LHBS for Aromatic and S-04 anyway...

I've got a 5 gallon batch coming off the secondary in the next week. This stuff is beautifully clear, light and refreshing. Hop balance is great and maltiness comes through well without being overbearing. Thanks for contributing a great recipe biermuncher!

I've got a 5 gallon batch coming off the secondary in the next week. This stuff is beautifully clear, light and refreshing. Hop balance is great and maltiness comes through well without being overbearing. Thanks for contributing a great recipe biermuncher!

This recipe is going to pick up momentum in the next 60-90 days. That cool blast of Autumn air is just around the corner. :ban:

Would you mind posting your recipe for the 5 gallon batch so I could see where your quantities fell compared to the original recipe.

Since I have a bit of MO that I would like to use up, how would this rate if it was subbed for the Pils? Would I need to cut back on the Munich? Would you advise against using MO since the recipe has plenty of of specialty grains? Going for the sweet malty profile is what is being acheived, so I would think MO would accentuate this? Thoughts.

Since I have a bit of MO that I would like to use up, how would this rate if it was subbed for the Pils? Would I need to cut back on the Munich? Would you advise against using MO since the recipe has plenty of of specialty grains? Going for the sweet malty profile is what is being acheived, so I would think MO would accentuate this? Thoughts.
I think you're good with a complete MO substitute. This is supposed to be on the malty side and the MO will just compliment that profile a bit.

Would you mind posting your recipe for the 5 gallon batch so I could see where your quantities fell compared to the original recipe.

Here's my breakdown per beersmith

Recipe: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale
Brewer: Bass Brewer
Asst Brewer: Sexy Brew Wench
Style: Oktoberfest/Marzen
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.51 gal
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 12.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 17.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 76.00 %
Boil Time: 80 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) UK (1.0 SRM) Grain 34.78 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 21.74 %
2 lbs Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 17.39 %
1 lbs Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 8.70 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 8.70 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.35 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4.35 %
1.00 oz Tettnang [3.00 %] (60 min) Hops 9.6 IBU
0.50 oz Tettnang [3.00 %] (45 min) Hops 4.4 IBU
0.50 oz Tettnang [3.00 %] (30 min) Hops 3.7 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 11.50 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 14.38 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 8.05 qt of water at 196.6 F 168.0 F

I'm doing a 10g batch of this bad boy today! Currently 10min. into the mash.

I am leaning towards using the s-05.

I decided to put S-04 into one carboy and S-05 into the other. If i remember in a couple months I might come back here & make some tasting notes. Probably won't remember by then though.

Ok...trying to figure out how to make this recipe as an extract. I very slightly modified the extract recipe that was posted on this thread.

Can those of you more knowledgeable (maybe BierMuncher himself) let me know if this looks like it would work and be good for an extract?

OctoberFAST
3-B Oktoberfest/Märzen
Author: by BierMuncher

Size: 5.0 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 176.28 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.053 (1.050 - 1.057)
Terminal Gravity: 1.013 (1.012 - 1.016)
Color: 15.05 (7.0 - 14.0)
Alcohol: 5.21% (4.8% - 5.7%)
Bitterness: 21.9 (20.0 - 28.0)

Ingredients:
3.33 lb Bavarian Pilsner
1.2 lb Pale Liquid
1.2 lb Amber Liquid
1.15 lb Belgian Caravienne
1 lb Crystal Malt 20°L
.5 lb Crystal Malt 40°L
1.25 oz Crystal (3.3%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
.25 oz Tettnanger (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 45 min
.25 oz Tettnanger (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 30 min
1.0 ea Fermentis S-04 Safale S-04

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.3

I would like to make this as a 5 gal extract as well, any comments on Chugger's recipe?

Converted it in Beersmith, got it.

i really want to brew this for the fall, but i reallly just haven't started doing all grain yet this year bc i can't chill 5 gallons of wort during hot weather so i have been doing partial mashes this summer without a full boil. So anyway my question is: Is there a way to do all grain without a full boil? i am guessing no and this is a dumb ?. So is there a good partial mash equal to this? thanks

Just brewed this today for my first successful AG. It tasted fantastic at the end of boil!

I brewed five gallons instead of the full eleven of the original, and just scaled most of the ingredients by half. My local brew shop didn't have 20L Munich malt, so I went with the 10L. To compensate, I upped the Crystal 40L from 0.5lb to 0.75lb, and dropped the Crystal 20L from 1.0lb to 0.75 lb.

I love a good German-style beer, so I can't wait to try this. Thanks for the great recipe BierMuncher!

I've been looking for a quick Oktoberfest recipe this morning. Would like to try this one just trying to figure out some conversions. I have a 3 gal partial mash cooler I built that has the capacity for about 6lbs of grain. I've only used it once so far so I'm still new to it, although that Oatmeal Stout I built it for turned out great. I know some need to be mashed and some can be steeped, just not sure what is the best breakout for the ones that can be steeped or mashed, or the ones that can be subbed easily for extract or mashed.

AG Ingredients for 5.5 gallon from post above:
------------
4 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) UK (1.0 SRM) Grain 34.78 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 21.74 %
2 lbs Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 17.39 %
1 lbs Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 8.70 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 8.70 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.35 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4.35 %

How does this look for a PM given my equipment?

1.8 lbs DME subbed for 3 lbs of 2-row

Mash
1 lbs Pilsner (2 Row)
2 lbs 8.0 oz Vienna Malt
2 lbs Munich Malt - 20L

Steep
1 lbs Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM)
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)

Is there any ones I have as steeped that would be better mashed?

Brewing 5 gallons of this tonight!!! Been wanting to try this recipe since last year. Using San Fran Lager yeast that I has in the fridge (made starter). Hopefully it doesn't dry the beer out too much. Perhaps I should mash in a 158 or so?

I just bottled this stuff two nights ago and let me say Holy $hit!!! Un-carbed this is a mighty fine brew. I'm gonna be ancy for the next couple weeks. I really wish I'd made 10Gs of it.

these probably sound like dumb questions, but as i brew i'm starting to use new ingredients and want to make sure of a few things.

For the ger. pilsner malt, would you recommend the weyermann (i assume it's german) or would simple briess work?

Also, i have some sealed hallertau from a beer i didn't make. I guess the package is a year old now, but it's been in the freezer. Can i use it or should i just stick with the tet. and get new hops?

thanks

these probably sound like dumb questions, but as i brew i'm starting to use new ingredients and want to make sure of a few things.

For the ger. pilsner malt, would you recommend the weyermann (i assume it's german) or would simple briess work?

Also, i have some sealed hallertau from a beer i didn't make. I guess the package is a year old now, but it's been in the freezer. Can i use it or should i just stick with the tet. and get new hops?

thanks
Brand names don't matter. Either will do.

Use up that hallertau. It's a great hop and a year in the freezer is no issue. :mug:

Brand names don't matter. Either will do.

Use up that hallertau. It's a great hop and a year in the freezer is no issue. :mug:

thanks. Any suggestions for replacing the 60 minute addition or the other two additions or go all hallertau maybe?

Do you get any of the fruity esters from the S-04 in this recipe. I think i'm going to brew a variant of this recipe this weekend, but i'm worried the esters would show to much and distract from the maltiness. Maybe ferment cooler (60-62ish)? Or maybe mash a little higher and use notty?

Do you get any of the fruity esters from the S-04 in this recipe. I think i'm going to brew a variant of this recipe this weekend, but i'm worried the esters would show to much and distract from the maltiness. Maybe ferment cooler (60-62ish)? Or maybe mash a little higher and use notty?

Maybe use a safale-05 and mash higher (155 ish). I would do what you can to maintain a cooler fermentation temperature the first 72 hours. That will go a long way in keeping the flavors clean.

Brewed this one up today :mug:
OG came out a little low at 1.049. For some reason I didnt boil off as much as usual, but .002 points is close enough :D

Brewed this yesterday. Other than running out of propane, twice, things went well. Had a brain fart all day, though. Put the thing in the swamp cooler and let it go. Realized tonight i was misreading my floating thermometer and instead of 64 it was 74... oops. Well, i'm cooling it back down, but we will see what happens.

i just brewed a twisted version of this. Inverted the grain bill a bit and got rid of the pilsner, mainly because I am lazy and wanted to do a 60m boil, and because I wanted to see how it would taste with no pilsner, because I always have tons of 2-row on hand. I also used Wyeast 1007 because I had some washed on hand. The color of this is great. I have high hopes for this beer! I realize it is quite different than the original , but reading about this one inspired me. I'm going to try to ferment the 1007 down near 60.

This got me to 1.050 @ 6gal @ 80% eff:

4 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 38.10 %
3 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 28.57 %
2 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 19.05 %
8.0 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
0.70 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] (60 min) Hops 10.4 IBU
0.50 oz Tettnang [5.50 %] (45 min) Hops 9.2 IBU
0.50 oz Tettnang [5.50 %] (30 min) Hops 5.2 IBU
1 Pkgs German Ale (Wyeast Labs #1007) Yeast-Ale

Just got done brewing this. My OG came out a little high but I'm pretty happy with the way things went. Hit my temps better than the last brew and the learning curve of AG is beginning to level off with each batch. Now for the wait.Should be ready about mid October and I already have people asking me to save them some.

Edit 9/12
Still bubbling slowly after a week in the fermenter. Nice deep copper color. I can't wait to taste this stuff.

BierMuncher, I worked up my own 5 gallon partial mash version of this to brew in a couple of days. Here are the specs, what do you think?

3.5 Lbs Light LME
2.25 lbs Vienna
1.75 lbs Munich
1 lb 20L
1 lb Aromatic
.5 lb 40L
.5 lb Cara-pils

1 oz Hallertau @ 60
.5 oz Hallertau @ 45
.5 oz Hallertau @ 30

Wyeast 2112 Californa Lager (for my 68 degree basement), using the same fermentation schedule as you.

My program is saying OG should be about 1.054, 25 IBU's and the color should be about 11 SRM.

Should this beer turn out pretty close to yours? Thanks for the help.

BierMuncher, I worked up my own 5 gallon partial mash version of this to brew in a couple of days. Here are the specs, what do you think?

3.5 Lbs Light LME
2.25 lbs Vienna
1.75 lbs Munich
1 lb 20L
1 lb Aromatic
.5 lb 40L
.5 lb Cara-pils

1 oz Hallertau @ 60
.5 oz Hallertau @ 45
.5 oz Hallertau @ 30

Wyeast 2112 Californa Lager (for my 68 degree basement), using the same fermentation schedule as you.

My program is saying OG should be about 1.054, 25 IBU's and the color should be about 11 SRM.

Should this beer turn out pretty close to yours? Thanks for the help.

I think you should be spot on. Plan on a long cool fermentation to let that yeast clean up after itself.

Back