American Pale Ale Russian River Row 2 Hill 56 Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally a brew day! It's been 2 months and I'm in need of a pale ale, so I brewed this up today. Numbers were good, color looked great in hydrometer, now its just time to play the waiting game. Cheers and thanks OP! :mug:

I also live in Santa Rosa and have to treat the mash with acid to prevent astringent flavors caused by having too high a PH. Santa Rosa water is treated with Lye, and is ridiculously alkali.
I've pretty much given up on using SR water - BTW, I talked to the guys over at Russian River and they said that they have an RO unit and they adjust from there depending on style/recipe. But I talked to someone else and they said it's Santa Rosa water. I'm so confused!

I was at rr last week. I think all of their water for brewing and drinking at the brew pub is reverse osmosis.

Snuck one of these at almost 4 weeks to the day from brew day, 1 week in the bottle. Just fantastic. Pine/citrus/resin aroma and flavor, crisp but not overly sharp bitterness, and very balanced with nice bright yellow & malty body. Very pleased. Thanks OP!

Made this one the last week of August, just opened the first bottle last night and man was it tasty! I wanted something different than my usual IPA's and this one hit a home run! If you love Simcoe hops, you won't be disappointed.

Just brewed this grain/yeast bill, but went all amarillo.

Will report back in three weeks. Last time I made it twas delicious.

I attempted to brew this yesterday...but had to make a few changes. Scaled the batch down to 5 gallons into the fermenter. Brew store was out of white labs California so I was just going to use US-05 but they were out of that too! Was going to get the Wyeast equivalent but they had a fresh pack of Omega West Coast Ale 1 so I went with that. Unfortunately didn't have time to make a starter so I probably underpitched. At least the Omega packs start out with ~150 billions cells rather than 100. Beersmith says I needed to pitch 192 billion while yeast calc estimates I pitched 118.

I also used my grain mill for the first time which really threw my efficiency estimates off (in a good way I guess). Final OG ended up being 1.064. Not going to be a perfect clone but hopefully turns out tasty! It's chugging away in the fermenter now.

Circling back on this brew. Fantastic. It went way too quickly. Rave reviews and even got a "this could win awards" from one fellow beer enthusiast (non-brewer) whose favorite style is APA. Nice to get such feedback on just a great recipe!:rockin:

Which pilsner malt have you guys used, and what is your experience? My LHBS has Briess (US), Weyermann (GER) and Castle (BEL).

So you have used Briess, and the taste is the same as RR?

I'll be honest I don't remember much of any distinct taste difference between maltster versions.

However it's been almost two years since I've brewed anything so try both and see which you prefer?

Which pilsner malt have you guys used, and what is your experience? My LHBS has Briess (US), Weyermann (GER) and Castle (BEL).

I used Belgan pilsner with all Mosaic hops.
Did a FWH with the bittering addition.

All of my friends keep asking when I'm brewing 'that awesome mosaic ale' again.
It was a big hit.

So you just replaced the Simcoe hops with Mosaic, kept the hops schedule and amount the same?

I brew this recipe a lot keeping the grain bill the same but swapping out the hops. For me I try to keep the IBUs of the hops additions true to the original recipe, so the volume of hops differs depending on the strain, but the IBUs stay more or less the same.

It's hard to beat the original, but this recipe brewed with Amarillo hops is a close second!

So you just replaced the Simcoe hops with Mosaic, kept the hops schedule and amount the same?

Pretty much!
Here's my hop schedule with Mosaic for this recipe:
.5 oz First wort hop
.5 oz @ 30 mins
1 oz hopstand - 30 mins @ 175*
3oz dryhop 5 days at 66*

Yummy!

Pretty much!
Here's my hop schedule with Mosaic for this recipe:
.5 oz First wort hop
.5 oz @ 30 mins
1 oz hopstand - 30 mins @ 175*
3oz dryhop 5 days at 66*

Yummy!

Second attempt at making this brew. First one I dry hopped in the fermentor...now I am taking a shot at dry hopping directly in the keg.

Overshot my OG at 1.072...ferm temperature was spot on. Ended at 1.010. 12 days in primary-last 48 hrs cold crashed at 40F and into keg with 1.9 oz dry hops.

Looking forward to my first pint of this two weeks from now.

Mofoa,
Are you going to dry hop it for the two weeks at carbing/chilling temp?

Yes, that is the plan...will leave the hop bag in there till the keg kicks it. But like the OP said--he dry hops in the keg for two weeks before he starts drawing from keg, and I will be doing the same.

Brewing this excellent beer again this weekend! Anyone moving the boil to 60 minutes instead of 90? Curious how that would effect the flavor

Can't help you on flavor differences, I've made this recipe four times in the last year, the last time substituting Chinook for Simcoe, but I've always used a 60 minute boil.

I'll be kegging the Chinook version tonight...

Just bottled my 3rd batch of this last Sunday. First time I did a 90min boil, 2nd and 3rd time I did a 60min boil. I don't remember any difference between the 1st and 2nd. This time I changed the Hop schedule to .5oz at 60min. .5oz at 10min. and 1oz as a whirlpool addition for 30 min at 170deg. Dry Hop addition stayed the same. Will see how it turns out in a few weeks.

I do this recipe with a few different hops, and I've switched it to a 60 minute boil. Still tastes awesome.

I've used Simcoe, Amarillo, Centennial, and Mosaic. Centennial has been my least favorite so far, but it was still pretty darn good.

I shoot for 25 IBUs with my 60 minute addition and 20 for my 30 minute addition, so I adjust my hops amount to get the IBUs I want.

I do 6 gallon batches, and I always use 35 grams at flameout, and 65 grams for dry hop, not adjusting hops amount based on AAU%.

I do a quick-turn fermentation schedule, and it works out very nicely for this beer:

Ferment at 68 degrees for 5 days, then ramp temp to 75 degrees for 2 more days.

Then dry hop @ 65 degrees for 5 days.

Then cold crash @ 33 degrees for 2 days prior to kegging, fining with gelatin once beer drops below 50 degrees.

Brewing this morning.. changed the boil and first hop addition to 60 minutes, otherwise following the original recipe. Remember loving this one last spring when I made it, will probably try this grain bill again with Amarillo next time I think!

Have a mosaic version on tap now. It will be the newest of the three on tap and first to go again.

brewed this today for the 2nd time. last batch was ruined.....My OG was 1.072. probably because I did 5 gal and not 6 gal. Either way it will be a good beer, just not the clone

I do this recipe with a few different hops, and I've switched it to a 60 minute boil. Still tastes awesome.

I've used Simcoe, Amarillo, Centennial, and Mosaic. Centennial has been my least favorite so far, but it was still pretty darn good.

I shoot for 25 IBUs with my 60 minute addition and 20 for my 30 minute addition, so I adjust my hops amount to get the IBUs I want.

I do 6 gallon batches, and I always use 35 grams at flameout, and 65 grams for dry hop, not adjusting hops amount based on AAU%.

I do a quick-turn fermentation schedule, and it works out very nicely for this beer:

Ferment at 68 degrees for 5 days, then ramp temp to 75 degrees for 2 more days.

Then dry hop @ 65 degrees for 5 days.

Then cold crash @ 33 degrees for 2 days prior to kegging, fining with gelatin once beer drops below 50 degrees.

Do you use multiple hops or do you use just one? I brewed this a few months ago as written and really liked it but want to use a different hop on the next brew.

For those who dry hop in the keg...do you just leave in the keg till it kicks...or do you remove from keg after X days?

I left in keg 3 weeks ago...and at first, tasted good and now I am wondering I made a mistake leaving in.

For those who dry hop in the keg...do you just leave in the keg till it kicks...or do you remove from keg after X days?

I left in keg 3 weeks ago...and at first, tasted good and now I am wondering I made a mistake leaving in.

All my attempts to dry hop in Keg have resulted in a grassy/vegetable flavor unless I pull them out after about 1 week.

Just one. This is pretty much the grain bill I use for all of my single hop pale ales.

Glad to hear this has worked for you. I've been looking for a grain bill to do single hop pale ales and I'm leaning towards this one (mainly since my bulk grains are pilsner and maris otter). The one big change I'm probably going to make is to move the flavor addition from 30 minutes to 15 and do a FWH instead of adding at 90 minutes.

On all of your single hop beers, do you keep the dry hop at 2oz?

Thanks. That's what happened here also.

Gonna try and fish out the hop sack and see if that helps...may take a while to clean up...doesn't.hurt to try.

All my attempts to dry hop in Keg have resulted in a grassy/vegetable flavor unless I pull them out after about 1 week.

Back