Gravity, Crystal Malts, and Sweetness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricknewsom

Reaction score
I am having trouble with an extract IPA recipe that finishes too sweet.
OG 1.064-1.072, FG 1.012 using Wyeast 1056, sometimes Safale S-05.

Current Recipe (4th edition)

7 lbs Light DME
4 oz Carapils
3 oz Caramel 40L

Warrior, Cascade, and Citra hops with Hopville calculated IBU 59.

Original recipe used 12 ounces of crystal malts.
With each batch I have basically cut the crystal malt by half, with no significant difference in the sweetness.
All 4 batches used 4 oz Carapils. All specialty grains steeped at 155 for 30 minutes in full 5.5 gallons of water.

I don't think lack of attenuation is the issue as it always finishes near 1.012.

Also, a blind taste test revealed that a six month old sample bottled from the
first batch that used 4 times the crystal malt, was still too sweet,
but actually less sweet than the recently bottled batch with 1/4 the crystal malt.

Try upping the IBU to balance the sweetness. Shoot for ~45-50 IBU from the bittering shot, then keep the same late schedule for flavor/aroma (no need to watch IBU contributions late). IMO, 59 IBU is low for American IPA, I shoot for 70-90 IBU from my IPAs.

I never thought of that! Thanks for the replies!

If anyone else has another viewpoint, I'm eager for more suggestions.

Nix the carapils. It is already in the DME. Bump up the calculated IBU to the 90 range. I've been reading some stuff that says the real measured IBU in higher IBU beers is only 2/3 of the calculated for most homebrew.

Also, if you aren't already, ferment on the cool side and you'll bring out some of the citrus flavor of the hops.

Back