More nitrogen or less H2O?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkyHighBrew88

Reaction score
Watering: I have my 3 hop plants on 1 gal/hour emitters each ran every 4 or so days for about 45min on average.

Fertilizing: Only fish emulsion. It's been applied from a one gallon jug mixed with water and split relatively evenly between the 3 plants.

Mostly yellowing around the lower 1ft of plant
image-2348247973.jpg

Closeup of leaves
image-751677811.jpg

Thanks for all your help. I should also mention the temperature (as it's been in most places lately) has been in the mid 90s to near 100s.

Only confusion I have with it being potassium is that the leaves showing the yellowing are the older mature leaves, while the article suggests potassium would show on newly formed ones.

I'm leaning towards Nitrogen right now, perhaps fish emulsion isn't providing enough or I should've fed them more regularly.

Thanks a lot for the article, good resource.

My cascades are over 14' for first year crowns. All the bottom leaves are turning yellow. I believe, from what I have read that this is natural as the plant is pushing water & nutrients to the top part of the plant in attempts to climb / produce cones. I'm not worrying about deficiency as my soil tests do not indicate any problems.

My cascades are over 14' for first year crowns. All the bottom leaves are turning yellow. I believe, from what I have read that this is natural as the plant is pushing water & nutrients to the top part of the plant in attempts to climb / produce cones. I'm not worrying about deficiency as my soil tests do not indicate any problems.

The bottom of my bines are yellow and drying out also. I don't worry about it though because the top of the bines have lots of burrs and cones.

img6662na.jpg

img6665n.jpg

img6668h.jpg

Ok so I posted this on another thread but it's appropriate for this one as well. Check the backs of your leaves for black dots and fine webbing. The pictures i've posted earlier are confirmed spider mites. I had a conversation with a family friend yesterday and showed her some pics of my plants. She just happens to be an entomologist and her specialty IS guess what, SPIDER MITES. Anyways she confirmed them in these pictures and said insecticidal soap and/or spraying the plants down with water will help eradicate them. So far it seems to be working well and they are slowly improving.

Back