Did I mess something up already?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacl3

Reaction score
So I started brewing a couple weeks ago, I started with Muntons Brown Ale

WSvl3l.jpg

Looked good after a few days,

So now I am about a week in and I decided to brew 3 more batches with my wife.

We did Brew Canada Canadian Red Beer, Brew Canada Canadian Lager and edwort's apfelwein.

We brewed them in that order, when we were done I took a picture of all three of them
vn89hl.jpg

Then we browsed the net for about 20 minutes and came back to see this
p79PZl.jpg

WHAT IS THAT FLOATING!!!

We are a bit concerned, we sanitised them all very well so I am not sure what happened, I am hoping this is normal or at least salvageable.

Thanks in advance from both of us!

EDIT
I posted this below but I figured I would put it in an edit as well.

I think I will start with blowoffs from now on, I have it set up, and its working well
zujxGl.jpg

Ok, now that I actually read it...I don't know exactly what that is given the picture quality and angle. But, it doesn't look like anything I would be concerned about. Probably just some yeast floaters kicking up. It is much harder to infect beer than people make you believe.

Yeah that's what I think it was this morning they were gone, either way I think we overfilled and this afternoon I had a blowout so I have put on a blow off tube now and am going to hope for the best.

Yeah that's what I think it was this morning they were gone, either way I think we overfilled and this afternoon I had a blowout so I have put on a blow off tube now and am going to hope for the best.

I recommend always using a blowoff, they can save you from a lot of problems

As you have already figured out there is nothing to worry about. Just for future reference RDWHAHB should be your motto especially when you are just getting started. Even if your beer is infected there is nothing you can do about it for the most part. Just let it ride and give it a taste test to see if the beer tastes like beer. Even if it looks bad a lot of times the beer is just fine.

Happy Brewing,

Ed

That looks weird, but I regularly experience issues in brewing that send me to the Internet in a panic. I would be more worried about the headspace on a few of those. Good luck:).

That looks weird, but I regularly experience issues in brewing that send me to the Internet in a panic. I would be more worried about the headspace on a few of those. Good luck:).

Yeah I had posted it elsewhere and people joked I must have dropped french fries in in. That said I agree with the headspace issue and I have set up a blowoff now on the ones that are still fermenting.

tre9er said:
What you see there are Funyins, the onion flavored snacks. :mug:

Mmmmmm, beer soaked funyins! That doesn't sound good at all! LoL

The headspace shown would scare me. I am nervous with 2-3 inches below the neck! I haven't had one blow yet but I started using blow off tubes (just in case). I hate to clean and my wife hates beer, so I have to draw the line somewhere! :)

You mean dry hopping with funyins is not appropriate?? haha but yeah I'm glad to see it's all under control and looking good now, I cant wait to drink some.

That looks exactly like it would be chunks of yeast trub that got shoved up to the top by getting bumped or just broke off in a co2 quake.Ive never had it happen.Usually just specks or tan floatie rafts.
Makes me want cheeto's or someting which i havent even had in ages. Are you dryhopping with something? It looks like on the right some kind of cloudy mushroomy thing or is that the camera reflection?

That looks exactly like it would be chunks of yeast trub that got shoved up to the top by getting bumped or just broke off in a co2 quake.Ive never had it happen.Usually just specks or tan floatie rafts.
Makes me want cheeto's or someting which i havent even had in ages. Are you dryhopping with something? It looks like on the right some kind of cloudy mushroomy thing or is that the camera reflection?

Nope not dryhopping with anything, I see what you are talking about, it must be some kind of weird reflection. But it has all settled now, so I agree it has to have something to do with the yeast being agitated but it looked really weird at the time.

Back