readying for 220v receptacle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rknerem

Reaction score
I am gearing up for a 220v ekeggle for boiling. I currently have no 220 outlet to use, but plan on adding one. my other problem is the panel is full, requiring me to reconfigure to free up space. I have a 220 breaker for the AC that I plan on replacing with a quad breaker to add the new 220 30A. Doing this I cant use a gfci breaker. I have seen the spa panels and have these questions. the spa panels ive seen in threads from HD are 50A, my breaker in the box is going to be 30A, is this a problem? Does the spa panel get wired with the 30A from the breaker going in and a dryer outlet coming out? I would like to have the outlet for an elec dryer if I ever need it in the future. I want gfi protection without a gfi breaker. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

the spa panels ive seen in threads from HD are 50A, my breaker in the box is going to be 30A, is this a problem?

its not technically a problem, but if you needed to get your wiring inspected/certified for any reason, they might have an issue with it. as long as you are aware that the complete circuit can only handle 30A, you can still install a 50A or even a 500A breaker in the middle of it. it will just be 'overkill', and normally would be a waste of money to do so.

but you dont care about the 50A part; only the 'GFCI' aspect of the spa panel. you just cant try to run 50A worth of equipment off of it, and need to remember that.

im not exactly sure what else you meant to ask- you can hook a dryer up too, but again you have to be aware of the maximum current capability of the whole circuit. its only has high as the weakest link. if you have a 30A cable on a 30A circuit in the main breaker panel, then you cant run both a dryer and the brewery off of that circuit (at the same time atleast. and if you are trying to use it for both, there should be safeguards to make sure that you cant possibly run both at the same time).

thanks for the reply. I dont plan on using it for anything but brewing. My dryer is gas. Im thinking of future use for someone if I ever sell the house. Does the dryer receptacle mount in the spa box, or is it outside with the spa box in the middle of the circuit as protection? Also curious if in the future I sell, should I remove the spa box and just leave the 30A dryer circuit or does code say it has to have gfi protection?
Thanks again

Not only do dryers not require gfci, they are designed to not be protected with gfci. Like refrigerators, freezers, and other major appliances with relatively large electric motors, they can easily trip gfci breakers without having a fault condition. If you want to make sure the outlet can be used for a dryer after you are done with it you may want to check out this 3 prong outlet, which is what most dryers use:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_71245-334-1...URL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=cooper+outlet+30&facetInfo=

However, the value is having the circuit run and wired into your panel. Outlets can be changed very easily. So, if you want or require a four prong outlet, I don't think you are hurting yourself when you sell your place.

I did exactly what you are asking about - I installed a 50a spa panel for my gfci. I have a 30a breaker in the electical box. I installed mine in my garage. I wanted my outlet at close to floor level and my spa panel closer to eye level for easy access. I ran 10-3 to the floor level to a double gang box. I went up through the box to the panel, then down from the panel to the box and wired to the outlet. I didn't have any intention of making it usable for anything else, but because of how I did it makes it very easy to take the panel out of the circuit and just wire the outlet directly if I want to.

I would be happy to post pictures later if you are interested.

If you are unsure of anything, either hire or consult an experienced electrician. Electricity and home wiring is fairly simple, but safety cannot be overstated. I have found the people at the big box hardware stores to be very helpful - they are often trained electricians.

Good luck! :)

Thanks for the info. Any pics would be great. I should be able to take it from there.

Not sure how helpful this will be, but here goes:
gfci1.jpg
This is a view of the installation. The outlet near the floor and the panel at eye level.

outlet1.jpg
Close-up of the outlet. 2 gang box. I drilled out the holes for 1/2 inch fittings on each side of the top of the box to support 3/4 inch conduit.

top-box1.jpg
You can see the conduit connected to the top of the box.

in-box1.jpg
This is the box with the cover removed. The line comes in on the right from the main panel. I then fed it up the conduit on the right side to the spa panel. It comes down from the spa panel in the conduit on the left. You can see that if I want to remove the spa panel and leave the outlet I can simply disconnect the feed at the outlet box and connect it directly to the outlet.

in-spa1.jpg
This is the guts of the spa panel. You can see the feed line coming up on the right and connecting to the feed connections. The outlet line is connected to the gfci breaker and fed down the left conduit where it connects to the outlet.

I had the 10/3 wire and the 3/4" conduit. The 4 pvc 3/4" couplers, nuts for the couplers, 2 gang box, outlet, and cover cost about $11 total at Home Depot. The spa panel was about $49 at Home Depot.

Back