Rasberry wheat ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bagsworth

Reaction score
I am brewing a beer with raspberries in it for the first time and was not sure when I should put the raspberries in. Should they go in while the wort is fermenting or should they be put in the secondary fermenter. If anyone can give suggestions or opinions on this subject I would appreciate it.

Normally the secondary is where they go. I've found rasberry puree to work better than the fruit itself...too messy.

Dan

With putting it in the secondary will it leave the beer too sweet or will the little remaining yeast burn off the sugars from the raspberries?

I made a raspberry ale last fall, it was phenominal! I used 2.5# of real raspberries that I pasteurized, in the secondary for a week or two. It was great, you will love it.

Pol

The sugars ferment out, you will probably see a small krausen in fact....

So the recipe I came up with for this beer is with 4 Lbs of frozen raspberries, does that sound like too much or is that a good amount to use in a beer like this.

For a 5 gallon batch? Id tone it down to closer to 2-3lbs... that will provide a noticeable yet not overpowering flavor... for a 5 gallon batch.

Will there be any of the raspberry left in the beer when I bottle it or will it all clear out because I had this blueberry beer on time that was phenomenal and it still had the blueberries in the beer.

You will have to syphon off the beer CAREFULLY, meaning dont be greedy, you will get about 4.5-4 gallons after you leave all of the raspberry junk behind. Will it be clear? Mine cleared after a while in refrigeration.

Well thanks for all your help, I am now off to pour my wort into my fermenter. In a few weeks I will have to post on how this beer came out, or if you have any other suggestions for me I will gladly except them.

Latest posts

Back