Summer Commercial Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedGuitar

Reaction score
So summer beers are typically my least favorite- they have a tendency to taste like lemon pledge. BUT, I came in from planting my garden this afternoon, poured myself a Shock Top, and it is phenomenal! Have I just found the perfect summer beer? What are your favorite summer beers?

New Belgium has a new one... "Somersault" and it's pretty dang good. Nice citrusy hop flavor and very drinkable.

I've got two favorites: Bell's Oberon and Abita Purple Haze. Yes, you can get these year round, but to me, they're awesome summer beers.

I've also noticed that I drink more wheat beers in the summer, more dark ales in the winter, and IPAs in the fall and spring. Guess I kinda match the weather!

The first beer that comes to mind is Southern Tier's Hop Sun. In fact its the inspiration for my summer time beer that I brew every year now.

shock top and new belgium sunset wheat - :)

THUNDER UP !!

THUNDER UP !!

YES! :mug:

Hoping we close it out in 4 tonight!

As for summer beers, since nobody has mentioned a homebrew, how about Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde? That's about as ideal for summer as you can get!

Yeah, forgot the topic was commercial beers... So how about St. Arnold's Lawnmower, Real Ale Fireman's #4, Magic Hat #9, COOP Horny Toad. Most of those are smaller and more local but all fantastic light beers. +1 for Kellerweiss, I love that beer.

What kind of beer is your summertime brew?

Its a hoppy American Wheat.

6 gallons
6 lb American 2 row
5 lb Weyerman Wheat
.25 lb Crystal 20

.85 oz Tettnang - 60 min
.50 oz Citra - 15 min
.50 oz Amarillo - 15 min
.50 oz Citra - 1 min
.50 oz Amarillo - 1 min
.50 oz Citra - Dry hop
.50 oz Amarillo - Dry hop

Wyeast Kolsch yeast

sorry, i had to thumbsdown this.

i like stuff that is nice and cold and crisp beer that actually has flavor to it. i really like saranac's summer trail pack. great for sitting around a fire.

lol I was kidding.

I like a good wheat beer or kolsch in the summer. Sometimes it's nice to light up the hookah at night with a tripel to sip on.

My favorites are:
Sam Adams Summer
Anchor Steam Summer
Paulaner Hefeweizen (year-round, but perfect in the summer)
Blue Moon or Shock Top
Victory's Mad King's Weiss (on tap at the brewery)

The new Tallgrass Halcyon Wheat is awesome. I can enjoy pretty much any wheat ale or pale ale this time of year.

NB Sunshine Wheat is def one of my favorites.

Easy - Oberon. I'm very nostalgic for that one. I used to live in Portage (right next to Kalamazoo) and looked forward to Oberon Day each year. I can't get the stuff here in Colorado so I just brewed a batch yesterday - it's glugging away like mad in my basement shower - er - my fermentation chamber.

I sure it hope it's half as good as the real thing.

Odd trivia - Bell's used to sponsor my rec. soccer league about 10 years ago.

Beltian White, from Belt, Montana's own Harvest Moon Brewing Co.

And you clowns can laugh all you want but I like a nice tallboy PBR when I'm in a big ole tube floating down a river in late July

Yeungling Lager, I grew up near Pottsville. I also indulge in their Lord Chesterfield Ale in the summer months...

My favorite true summer seasonal is New Glarus Dancing Man Wheat. Otherwise, I'm with you, a lot of the summer seasonals get overspiced and abuse the citrus.

Another vote for Oberon. A cold Wittekerke is great on a hot day too.

Back