Is it safe?...Is it safe?....Is it safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HIM_Tattoos

Reaction score
So tonight I poured out my first strawberry beer from the Mr.Beer kit and heres the problem.

When I made the beer I used strawberries that I put in the blender and then put in the wort and fermented with it. So I did everything as usual and then I poured one tonight. Theres moldie/moldy/moldiy(strawberries w/mold on them) in the beer. After two coffee filters and alot of lost beer I got to take a few sips of the finished project tasted fine but I still wonder....is it safe?

If caught early enough, the mold won't even effect the flavour much.

However, the beer will have a much shorter shelf life, even though you strained the spores are still in the beer and will continue to grow.

It IS safe. Might taste bloody awful, but it won't make you sick or kill you. And besides, what doesn't kill you will only make you stronger>;)

All i can think of is HOW did that happen? all i can assume is poor sanitizing. Was the blender sanitized were the strawberries brought up to atleast 170 degrees?

There's no known bacteria that can survive in alcohol. you'd be safe to drink it, might taste like crap though.

B4B is correct. There is plenty of bacteria that can render a beer undrinkable.

However, none that will kill you.

Brewtopia said:
B4B is correct. There is plenty of bacteria that can render a beer undrinkable.

However, none that will kill you.

Sorry what i meant was none that will kill you... after all if it was true no bacteria could survive in alcohol there'd be no reason to sanitize.

Well it doesnt taste bad and it has exactly the flavor I was looking for so maybe I'll keep it around for someday that I want to have to strain my beer before I drink it.

Back