Amazing fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhenry41h

Reaction score
My Belgian Tripel, brewed on Sunday, is still raging 6 days later. I gave it one incremental sugar feeding on Wednesday. It raged through my blowoff and filled a gallon jug which I had to replace. This morning, Saturday, I went downstairs to check on it and the yeast are still visibly raging through my wort. I plan on giving them their last sugar feeding this evening. With the sugar and a mash temp at 147, just by going on appearance, I think the desired dryness is going to work nicely. I can't say enough about incrementally feeding the Wyeast Trappist high Gravity...

Just took a 1 week hydro sample. Lovely color, delicious aroma! Down to 1.028 with 1 more sugar feeding to go!

coming soon...to a fridge near you!

Something similar happened to the Wyeast Belgian Wit that I used in a Pomegranate Wit. After a 4 week primary fermentation (it actually took that long to stop fermenting, and I am not sure it actually finished) I racked to secondary on top of the fresh Pomegranate. It picked up with explosive fermentation and looked like it was "boiling" when you looked at the pomegranate particles being churned by the fermentation. That lasted around 5 days of so, like yours. That extra 3/4 lb of sugar from the pomegranate really made for an interesting fermentation.

After all was said and done, I went from an OG of 1.057 at pitching to 1.005 after secondary on the Pomegranate.

AKnewbrews said:
Something similar happened to the Wyeast Belgian Wit that I used in a Pomegranate Wit. After a 4 week primary fermentation (it actually took that long to stop fermenting, and I am not sure it actually finished) I racked to secondary on top of the fresh Pomegranate. It picked up with explosive fermentation and looked like it was "boiling" when you looked at the pomegranate particles being churned by the fermentation. That lasted around 5 days of so, like yours. That extra 3/4 lb of sugar from the pomegranate really made for an interesting fermentation.

After all was said and done, I went from an OG of 1.057 at pitching to 1.005 after secondary on the Pomegranate.

Wow! 1.005! How did it taste for being so dry? I'm planning on just letting this thing go for 3 weeks and then let it sit in secondary for 3-4 weeks.

coming soon...to a fridge near you!

I have yet to taste it after bottle conditioning. Its been just over 2 weeks in the bottle. Probably going to crack one open this next weekend and find out. To tell you the truth, the alcohol content was definitely there, but didn't seem too dry at the time. I have another thread on it called Imperial Pomegranate Wit (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/imperial-pomegranate-wit-229391/). I'll post what I have up on that thread. It was an extract brew steeping wheat malt.

Back