Not-So-Obnoxious Baseball Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^haunting visage^ :oops:

On brighter fronts...'Sox will return home with a 1-1 split and the possibility of winning this series in Fenway.
Yeah, a stretch, no doubt, but still...
Setting a brand new record of the most grand slams in a post season game is a bonus.
That'll have the Red Sox name on it for a long time I bet :)

Cheers! (and GO 'SOX! :rock:)

1634432383441.png

Sox lose series to the Astros...check, just turned on ESPN2 and they are playing the part 4 of "once upon a time in queens". Couldn't stand to watch it. Still too painful lol.

Well it was pretty much out of nowhere and totally fun while it lasted, but let's face it, Sox didn't have the pitching to close the deal.
Wait'll next year! :D

I couldn't stand him when he played for the twins. You could see the potential. You could see the power, the bat speed, everything. But he just couldn't put it together in a twins jersey. I 100% speculate the twins coaches of that era were trying to get him to push the ball the other way instead of letting him be a natural pull hitter. The man deserves the hall, for certain. I just can't ever help but wonder what could have possibly been with a few of those twins teams in the mid 2000s with him in the middle of the line up.

I'm pretty excited to see Kaat and Oliva going in as well. Both are long deserving, and at a personal level, they were favorites of my dad. Kaat joins the twins commentary team a couple series every season and its an amazing listen.

I can dig it. Nobody is thrilled to see one of their players move on to become another team's huge hero.
But David Ortiz was even more than that here. He picked up an entire city...

Still makes the tiny neck hairs stand up...

Cheers!

I think at the heart of the "can't wait for baseball season!" sentiment is the oh-so-welcome change in the weather that accompanies the sport's opening.

At least for those who don't live in Florida...
Even in FL we look forward to the end of the 60's temperatures. Brrrr. It was fun... for like that one week.

IMO baseball is an underappreciated sport to the most general masses. That and maybe hockey. I am not sure why they have dropped off the American landscape as far as mainstream.

Used to get over the air broadcasts of baseball back in the day. Media companies chose more sitcoms instead.

Some say the slow pace of game is to blame. In reality most general attendants just don't fully understand the game and its uniqueness.

Best sport to watch on the radio (as long as the narrator is in tune with the game). If you know the game then you know what I mean.

I love baseball. and I still love watching it on the radio best of all. Even though those great voices of the past - Ernie Harwell, Red Barber, etc, etc, etc, have long gone, I still hear their echo in a good crackly radio broadcast. I have already psyched myself up to be once again fully disappointed by our Tigers, and am ready to settle in for 162 games of intensely utter mediocrity under Little Caesar's Jr's helmsmanship! One thing for sure though: WE WILL BE in first place on opening day . . . . Well, the beginning of opening day . . . you know what I mean,

MLB had $11.6B in revenue last year. I'd call that pretty mainstream. The NHL has the sixth highest revenues of any sports league in the world. They're not exactly struggling.

The NFL is the runaway leader of course, but the combined revenue of the major European soccer leagues comes pretty close.

Back