Light French Saison Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannPM

Reaction score
Open to any and all suggestions/alterations as this will be my first all grain brew.

For 5 Gallons

OG 1.073
FG 1.014
IBU 42
ABV 7.6 %
SRM 3

10 lbs Pilsner Two-row
3 lbs Wheat Malt

1 oz Saaz Pellet @ 60 minutes
1 oz Saaz Pellet @ 30 minutes
0.5 oz Saaz Pellet @ 15 minutes
0.5 oz Saaz Pellet @ 5 minutes

(Saaz Hops I have are 5.8% AAU)

Wyeast 3711 - French Saison
Flocculation: Low
Attenuation: 77-83%
Temperature Range: 65-77F 18-25C
Alcohol Tolerance: ABV 12%

My apartment is usually at 67-69 degrees this time of year as well which is where it will be fermenting.

Do you really want a uber-strong saison?
how about sg 1.054 and expect to get fg1.002-6

That yeast will eat everything including small kids & animals that get too close...:p

Houblon, BJCP mentiones that export strength is 6.5-8%. What is the benefit of lowering the ABV? I was under the impression that I could still keep it refreshing with this yeast used as it hides higher abv levels well.

Do you really want a uber-strong saison?
how about sg 1.054 and expect to get fg1.002-6

That yeast will eat everything including small kids & animals that get too close...:p

LOL :) I missed that last comment on there! Yeah it's an aggressive yeast

With that OG, 3711, and normal mash temps you are looking at a beer near 9% ABV. That yeast is a beast - it will eat down near to 1.000.

I really like strisselspalt for the 15 & 5min additions. I also use some light belgian candy sugar and some Munich malt.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewi...t-hops/french-strisselspalt-pellets-1-oz.html

3711 is a great yeast and hides high alcohol levels well.

Thanks for turning me onto the Spalt hops man, I missed those while looking up my stuff prior.

I've revised it to the following based on the very helpful input I've got above (included some Spalt and lowered my OG, good advice guys):

OG 1.061
FG 1.012
IBU 42
ABV 6.3 %
SRM 7

Castle CaraVienne (Crystal) 19-27L, 1lbs
Rahr White Wheat, 2lbs
Castle Pilsner Malt, 8lbs

Czech Saaz 1oz at 70 mins
Spalt Hop 1oz at 30 mins
Spalt Hop 0.5oz at 15 mins
Spalt Hop 0.5oz at 5 mins

3711 Wyeast French Saison

He's not talking about spalt hops. Strisselspalt are belgian/french hops with a currant like flavor - very delicate. Spalt are a german hop with a spicy/soapy flavor (from my experience). I would consider removing the 30 minute addition that you have - i doubt you will get any contribution from it more than a slight bittering.

Your FG isn't going to be 1.012. As we have said the 3711 strain is a crazy attenuator and will eat nearly all the sugars up. Plus, 1.012 is a high FG for the style - with any saison you should shoot for under 1.010.

I second the gravity comment. I finished at 1.003 with my last saison with 3711 with a really minimal sugar addition. I'd expect to be at 1.008 or so if not lower. Beersmith always shoots back a higher FG number than you'll end up with in my experience, especially with Belgian yeasts. Also, little tip to get the fermentation cranking along. Wrap that thing with a blanket to keep the temps up! It'll motor through fermentation in under 5 days if you do. Good luck

+1 With the 3711, it's going to finish out right around 1.000. Mine always does and I start with an OG higher than yours. It tastes amazing though.

How have you pitched 3711 in the past? Did you use a starter with the higher gravity you referenced or did you just pitch direct?

I second the gravity comment. I finished at 1.003 with my last saison with 3711 with a really minimal sugar addition. I'd expect to be at 1.008 or so if not lower. Beersmith always shoots back a higher FG number than you'll end up with in my experience, especially with Belgian yeasts. Also, little tip to get the fermentation cranking along. Wrap that thing with a blanket to keep the temps up! It'll motor through fermentation in under 5 days if you do. Good luck

Yeah I was using tastybrew's calculator, estimating 81% attenuation per the Wyeast specs on 3711. Seems like from everyone's responses, Wyeast is low-balling the attenuation rate...

I recently made a "light" saison - 1.035. Dropped to 1.000. Added 300g grated ginger (10gallon batch) at 10 mins. Its one of my tastier brews. Very refreshing.
I used pale 2 row and 20% wheat and Styrians at 60mins, 30mins and 5mins to 20IBU.

Chschrecat - I'm just curious since you don't use a starter - what kinda flavors are you getting outta this yeast by underpitching? spicy/fruity/lots of phenolics?

I brewed a saison thursday using WY3711. OG was 1.060, gravity was 1.020 Saturday, and I expected something like 1.010 or so today. Its 1.000 exact. Down to zero in four days. Holy moly that yeast is a freak indeed. I made a large starter.

Latest posts

Back