Some High Gravity RIS Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miller

Reaction score
Awhile back I had posted about my RIS here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/final-gravity-1-050-a-184087/ I ended up using the lalvin yeast suggested and the gravity went down about .006 points. Now I'm ready to bottle and I have another packet of the lalvin yeast. Can I add 6oz corn sugar and a fresh packet of yeast and get some carbonation. And another question: the recipe had 12.5 lbs. dark LME, 2 lbs. dark DME and 1 lb. dark brown sugar could the final gravity be so high (1.044, O.G. 1.130) due to the unfermenatables in the dark extracts?

1.130 to 1.044 is 67% attenuation. On a massive alcoholic beer based with extract I wouldn't expect much more than that. Extracts tend to not be as fermentable as an all-2row mash (designed for fermentability) because:

1. They likely contain crystal malts (dextrins) which are not fermentable.
2. You are not sure what temperature the wort used to produce the extract was mashed at which has large implications on the fermentability of the final product.

In your case however, you're likely in a situation where the brew is simply too alcoholic to go any further (you're at 11.5% ABV).

How long did it take for those additional 6 points of gravity from the extra yeast? If you are bottling, just be certain that it is finished.

Like the previous post said it is difficult to say how much unfermentables were present in the extract. You'll eventually get carbonation regardless...just be prepared for a long conditioning period and it will be fine.

Back