Ain't Big, Ain't Clever - Speed Brewing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to do a session ale Along the lines of the Old Boddington's Bitter. <4.0%

The wife's at work, I'm at home. I have ingredients.

So here goes. On the fly.

3.3kg MO pale malt
120g Crystal 50l
30g Chocolate
250g Carapils Dextrine

Fuggle and EKG to be determined.
Yeast: Nottingham Ale

Mash water heating 20 mins
Mash for 40 mins
Batch sparge 30 mins
Boil 60 mins
Cool 30 mins

Total brew time <3.5hrs (I hope)

5 days primary.
10 days secondary.
20 days to carb and condition.

I'll flesh it out as I go. Best go put the yeast on.

Only other schedule to figure is the HB drinking bit.

I love it! I've made small beers before and they're great. It'll be good 10 days after pitching (if you can force carb it) and awesome another week after that. Small beers mature extraordinarily quickly.

Mash is on, I'm just going to set the kettle up and poor a HB. (IPA me thinks)

Just wondering whether to start a curry as well.
The luandry's got to be done as well. The dogs will have to wait.

Who would have thought the days where someone would say, hey imma go brew right now. Interesting times....wish I could be brewing now!

No real rush.
It's just nice to know I can do a session beer in a smaller amount of time.
I've just worked out my effeciency in replicator and!!!!!!
86% mash effieciency.:rockin:
I did a reasonably thin mash (10l on 3.7kg) and only for 40 minutes at 67c.
I just tested the grain left and the runnoft is at 1006 so it looks like I got it on the money. Bitter and flavour hops are done. 30 minutes to go on the boil.

Will do.

Well, I'm 2 hours 45 minutes in and starting the chill.

Me yeast is happy.

PICT0004.JPG

Sounds great, Orfy! My next couple beers are going to be on the small, session-able side. I think we as homebrewers tend to get so caught up in "big" beers that we forget how nice it is to have something you can keep drinking all day without getting sh!tfaced.

PICT0001-2.JPG

3 hours on and it's bubbling and some chunks moving around. it's the first time I've used this yeast on a brew. It's just a proprietary ale yeast aimed at extract brewers. $1.20 a pack.
Seams to be doing a good job. I'm hopping it doesn't give any off flavours.

I don't have any info on it.

Looks great! I'm hoping to do my stout tomorrow night. It's going to be a Dry Stout around 1.050, so I'm hoping I can do the all grain under 5 hrs. I'm with the_bird on the gravity thing. Now that I got my yearly barleywine and next years christmas gift, the belgian, out of the way, all of the kegs are going to need filling soon. Session beers heer we come. :mug:

I just listened to the podcast from the Basic Brewing radio show on grain to glass in a week the other day. Session beers were the key.

Latest posts

Back