Can i wash yeast from a starter of High Fluccuating yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLoBaLReBeL

Reaction score
Ok, so I recently just used a WLP002 1.5L starter to make a Stone IPA clone and it's turning out GREAT! The problem is I went to wash the yeast and with all the hops in there from the break, it was near impossible.

I tried to wash it anyway but the yeast was so heavy and clumpy, that it fell to the botton before the trub/hops did. So, here's my plan . . please tell me if its wrong . .

start with a 1L starter. Move that to 1.5, then move that to 2L (I'm capped off at 2L since I only have a 2L flask.). Once that has fermented all the beer, then its time to stick it in the fridge and let it sit for a day or two. I'll then decant most of the liquid (as much as possible, without losing to much yeast) and then pour in all the pre-boiled and cooled water sitting in the canning jars; stir up enough to get all the yeast in suspension and then quickly pour off the liquid back into the jars. At this point it will just be time to make sure they are not going to continue fermenting by keepin an eye on them, and burping them if needed for the next week or so.

what you think?

I think you can go straight to the 2L starter, no need for stepping up 3 times. But even with that, you will not end up with a huge amount of yeast, maybe only enough for 2 jars max. So I guess I am wondering WHY you would want to do this. A better way might be to make your 2L starter, set aside a little yeast from that for storage, and use the rest for the main batch. Then repeat the process with the set-aside yeast so that you get a batch plus a bit of yeast from each starter.

On another note, it is possible to de-clump 002, you just have to shake the living crap out of it.

Washing 002 is really just the opposite of washing other yeasts. I would suggest cold water to help promote clumping/flocculation. Just wait a minute or two for the yeast to settle and dump the rest.

Are there any good beers that use the 002 yeast but don't use a ton of hops? This way I can wash the yeast much more easily? Or will I always have to swirl around, pour off the trub/hops/beer, then pour in new (boiled then cooled) water and then wash as normal?

^English mild. I just brewed a brown mild that was awesome. 1.5 oz. hops at 60 minutes in a 10 gallon batch and that was it.

Back