Rice hulls question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malc

Reaction score
I have heard two techniques for using rice hulls:
1) Lay them down as a filter bed in the bottom of the mash tun.
2) Mix them in with the grain before adding the water.

Which do you all do?

Mix them with the grain. I don't know if they will do alot of good if they are all on the bottom.

I rinse and then soak them for the first 35-40 minutes of the mash, drain and mix in. It's convenient considering I always stir the mash every 20 minutes.

Mix them in. The point of using rice hulls is because some grains (like wheat) are lacking a husk. Its difficult to set up a filter bed when sparging without a husk because the grain bed compacts. Rice hulls help give the grain bed "loft", allowing water to access more surface area of the grain and drain the good stuff off.

If there are any gardeners out there, rice hulls go a long ways towards improving just about any soil. Similar to using hulls in a mash, they give the soil structure and allow for good drainage. Want great veggies? Use lots of rice hulls in your growing mix!

Not trying to hi-jack the thread but,

I used rice hulls one time, and one time only. I was talked into them by the LHBS and that was/is the only time I ever had a stuck sparge in the 8 years I have been brewing.

Not sure what I did wrong, mine were mixed in.

Not trying to hi-jack the thread but,

I used rice hulls one time, and one time only. I was talked into them by the LHBS and that was/is the only time I ever had a stuck sparge in the 8 years I have been brewing.

Not sure what I did wrong, mine were mixed in.

I throw in a handful or two every batch, but I also use some wheat in almost every batch (even if its not a wheat beer). My experience is the opposite of yours - the one time I forgot is when I got a stuck sparge :mad:

I throw in a handful or two every batch, but I also use some wheat in almost every batch (even if its not a wheat beer). My experience is the opposite of yours - the one time I forgot is when I got a stuck sparge :mad:

Are you adding the wheat for the head of the beer?

That's interesting that your the opposite of me on the hulls. I have used 2 different false bottoms and three different manifolds over the years. I guess this really proves, it is all about what works you.:mug:

Are you adding the wheat for the head of the beer?

That's interesting that your the opposite of me on the hulls. I have used 2 different false bottoms and three different manifolds over the years. I guess this really proves, it is all about what works you.:mug:

Yes, I often include some wheat in the grain bill to help with the head and mouthfeel. I don't use it with blonde ales or other lighter beers.

:mug:

Thanks for the help everybody. I mixed them into the grain and never had an issue. It was my second all-grain batch, and so far no issues. That Beersmith is one amazing program.

I actually do a bit of both, I will use just a bit around my SS braid, then mix some in to the grain. I felt the hulls provided protection for the braid against the grain (specifically wheat beers). Though I still wanted an "airy" grain bed, so I added extra in. I don't know how much help the hulls on the bottom are since you mix/stir the grain anyways. Call it a superstition/habit/ritual or what have you.

Sea2summit is right. They do absolutely no good on the bottom. They just provide structure for water to be able to filter through the grain bed. Any mash with a percentage of wheat, rye, oats or any adjunct without husks like rice or corn has a good chance of making the whole mash stick together like a big ball of dough or oatmeal. Husks and hulls are the only thing stopping it from doing that.

Grains!!!!!!! Grains!!!!!!! (say it like a zombie).:rolleyes:

Doesn't everyone mix the grain when they drop the mash to avoid any dough balls, it should not make a difference where you place the rice hulls. It is going to get mixed in anyways.

Doesn't everyone mix the grain when they drop the mash to avoid any dough balls, it should not make a difference where you place the rice hulls. It is going to get mixed in anyways.

Depends how well you mix once the grain is in the mash tun. If you just give it a quick stir on grains without a husk, you likely will end up with dough balls. I usually have enough room in my grain bag to "massage" the bag to premix the rice hulls first. As soon as that grain hits hot water, it it can dough up. If you're using rice hulls to prevent a stuck sparge, might as well spend the extra 15 seconds to mix the hulls in before you add it to the water.

Come to think of it , a stuck sparge is indicative of not setting up an porous filter bed with your grain. A dough ball is indicative of not mixing water into grain adequately enough to wet all grain evenly. They are separate issues, no? Although, I would imagine adding rice hulls would help disperse the water more easily while mixing, thus preventing dough balls. Either way, mix well and if using rice hulls, mix well!

IMHO mix the rice hulls in. When you vorlof the rice hulls will gradually shift into position forming the grain bed.

Whichever way you go will not lead to drastic changes in your brew. Let us argue on more controversial issues on whether or not to secondary.

I just toss some rice hulls in with my grain since I'm gonna be stirring the grain anyways...I figure if I put the hulls on the bottom, they would end up getting mixed anyways.

Latest posts

Back