Ice in washed yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
I was pulling a pint, and noticed the jars with my washed 3068 have ice in the top.

Is that a problem? Only the top is frozen, the yeast/trub layer and most of the liquid is not.

If it wasn't for the fact that I've been awake for about 30 hours straight now, I'd be able to dig up the podcast that talked about freezing yeast. Apparently, even if the entire vial is frozen, only about 10% of the viable yeast die per freeze. Assuming you're going to be using a starter (and we both know you are ;) ) it shouldn't be any problem at all. Maybe just raise the temp a little bit so it doesn't continue to happen.

If it wasn't for the fact that I've been awake for about 30 hours straight now, I'd be able to dig up the podcast that talked about freezing yeast. Apparently, even if the entire vial is frozen, only about 10% of the viable yeast die per freeze. Assuming you're going to be using a starter (and we both know you are ;) ) it shouldn't be any problem at all. Maybe just raise the temp a little bit so it doesn't continue to happen.

Cool.

I don't think the yeast froze. I moved the jars away from the vent, so that should fix it.

Funny, that did not happen when the outside temp was 30* colder (fridge is by the garage door).

Back