Old Ale silly ingredient questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ceannt

Reaction score
I am getting ready to gather ingredients for an “Old Ale”, and have a couple of technical questions.
Does anyone know the gravity points and Lovibond for Turbinado sugar? I am assuming that it is similar to plain ole Brown sugar, but if I am going to go to the effort of calculating this out, I might as well use the real numbers…. and all my charts omit it. I was thinking say a quarter pound to add a bit of “rumminess”, and to dry it out just a bit to keep it from being too cloying sweet.
I am going to throw in some acidulated malt, I want just a tad more “tang” than Guinness… I was thinking of 3-oz in a 5-gallon batch (1.5%), is that enough, or should I bump it up some???

Thanks.

Pretty much the same, dark brown sugar is about 50 SRM, T-sugar is about 10SRM , the potential gravity per 5 gallons is aproximatly 1.023 per 3 lbs , and will dry out your recipe if added , not sure what ratio you are using , but I sugguest less than 5-8% of your total grain/adjunct bill .. T-sugar will be cleaner than brown, but brown or light brown gives a nice residual flavor I prefer in Old Ale . If your curious, try some essentia bina instead, it's a reduction of sugar that browns at heat , it's how they used to color porters back in the day .

Thanks. I had been thinking light brown sugar, but was curious as to the Turbinado.... I was only thinking about 2.1% of the total bill.
I like that link by the way GilaMinumBeer.

Latest posts

Back