Catfish Chowder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reelale

Reaction score
This recipe is from a retired game warden friend of mine. It's called "Big Ben's Yum Yum Catfish Chowder" The name says it all. This makes a pretty big pot. Probably for 6 or 8 people. We always half every ingredient for two people with plenty of leftovers. It's too simple to taste so good.

4 Cups Potatoes, cut into 1/2" cubes
1 Cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
2 carrots, coarsely grated
3 cups water
3 cups catfish filets cut into 1" cubes (any mild fish works, or if you really like fish, striper and even King Mackeral works well, but it's a tad more "fishy")
Salt and pepper sparingly.
Old Bay (to taste)
Cover and bring to boil, then simmer until potatoes are tender.

Add:
2 cans cream of celery soup
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
allow to cool some, then add 3 cups whole milk (more or less to desired consistency)

Heat over low heat, stirring occasionally, just until hot...for about 10 minutes.
DO NOT BOIL.

Serve with oyster crackers, old bay seasoning, and your choice of IPA.

Sounds great. Only change I might think of would be to add the fish once the veggies were done. I might add a little heat to it as well, but that's just me.

Bosco

i make a somewhat similar shrimp and corn chowder. i use cream of potato instead of cream of celery though, never tried cream of celery

Sounds tasty, though I'll have to sub soy milk as I'm lactose intolerant. Thanks for sharing the recipe; BTW, are the measurements you posted the original & should be halved, or did you halve them already?
Regards, GF.

Sounds tasty, though I'll have to sub soy milk as I'm lactose intolerant. Thanks for sharing the recipe; BTW, are the measurements you posted the original & should be halved, or did you halve them already?
Regards, GF.

That's for a full recipe as posted. We half everything, or pretty close to it for a smaller pot.

Another trick that a friend does is saute the onions before adding to the stock. He swears the caramelized onions add greatly to the flavor.

Back