Rye IPA FG and Krausen in Secondary ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MedicMike

Reaction score
We brewed the Denny's Rye Smile Rye IPA two weeks ago. I checked the OG after brewing and it was perfect at 1.078. We racked it to the secondary yesterday and the FG was 1.031. Does that seem right to everyone. It works out to 6.5-6.5 %ABV which seems ok, but I just want to make sure.

I'm also attaching a photo taken this morning. It looks like krausen, but just want to verify. I'm guessing we might have rousted some yeast during racking and they started fermenting again. No activity from the airlock.

We sampled it yesterday from the graduated cylinder after checking the FG and there were no off flavors. So I'm not worried about an infection.

36f3fe93.jpg

No, it is not right. You should not have transferred to the secondary BEFORE TAKING A GRAVITY READING.

Your beer is (thankfully) fermenting again. Quit moving it and let it be.

No, it is not right. You should not have transferred to the secondary BEFORE TAKING A GRAVITY READING.

Your beer is (thankfully) fermenting again. Quit moving it and let it be.

Thanks Amanda. This is the first time I've ever had this happen. We pitched a 1 liter starter and it fermented like a champ, but no activity for over a week or so. I usually try to do serial FG's to make sure it's done fermenting, but it's been a crazy week. It has a month to sit in the secondary anyway, so I would guess that it will finish out by then.

Thanks Amanda. This is the first time I've ever had this happen. We pitched a 1 liter starter and it fermented like a champ, but no activity for over a week or so. I usually try to do serial FG's to make sure it's done fermenting, but it's been a crazy week. It has a month to sit in the secondary anyway, so I would guess that it will finish out by then.

I've done this recipe a few times now. FYI, if you pitch the correct amount of yeast (i.e. at least a 2L starter - WY1450 is a bit sluggish), you can get this guy done with 3 weeks in the primary, check gravity, transfer for dry hopping, 7 day dry hopping, then bottle. You really don't need more than a month of 'fermenting' for this beer.

I've done this recipe a few times now. FYI, if you pitch the correct amount of yeast (i.e. at least a 2L starter - WY1450 is a bit sluggish), you can get this guy done with 3 weeks in the primary, check gravity, transfer for dry hopping, 7 day dry hopping, then bottle. You really don't need more than a month of 'fermenting' for this beer.

Thanks again Amanda. So I think that I'll let if hang out for a week or two and then check the FG's again. Hopfully it'll finish up.

+1 to the above, your FG should have been about 1.018. A good approximation is dividing your OG by 4 to estimate your FG if the recipe does not provide one. 78/4 = 19 or 1.019

Hopefully there is enough yeast in there to get it finished but if it gets stuck, don't be surprised:)

+1 to the above, your FG should have been about 1.018. A good approximation is dividing your OG by 4 to estimate your FG if the recipe does not provide one. 78/4 = 19 or 1.019

I like this beer so much more when it finishes at 1.015. But hey, that's just personal preference. I like my IPAs dry, not sweet. :mug:

AmandaK said:
I like this beer so much more when it finishes at 1.015. But hey, that's just personal preference. I like my IPAs dry, not sweet. :mug:

I agree, I generally prefer most of my beers slightly drier. I was simply trying trying to provide a reference point for calculating an approximate FG;)

Back