Brett Hefeweizen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryix

Reaction score
Hey guys. Not sure if I saw this here or elsewhere, but I seem to recall someone making a Brett Hefeweizen by removing the lid of the fermenter during high krausen and letting it ferment out like that in the fermentation chamber.

Anyone do anything like this or have any ideas or suggestions?

It's my understanding that brett would eat the esters usually associated with hefeweizens, not to mention that as a secondary fermenter it would take a long time to ferment out which goes against logic as hefeweizens are known to be better when they're young.

I'd ask the question the Lambic forum here, you'll prob. get more answers there.

Hey guys. Not sure if I saw this here or elsewhere, but I seem to recall someone making a Brett Hefeweizen by removing the lid of the fermenter during high krausen and letting it ferment out like that in the fermentation chamber.

Anyone do anything like this or have any ideas or suggestions?

while it is possible that some stray Brett cells could land in an open fermentor you would have a hard time knowing without a microscope, any number of can and will be in there. if you want a Brett fermented hefeweizen the best thing to do is inoculate the wort with Brett directly rather than waiting for a chance infection. while it is not a traditional beer to ferment with Brett (who cares about tradition in brewing anyway?) do it if you are inclined. Brett does not take any longer than regular sacc to ferment a beer so you can still drink it young but it will continue to develop in flavor with time.

Back