need hi temp tubing for mashing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ton

Reaction score
I was just curious, im about to do my first all grain batch this weekend and wasn't sure if i needed hi temp tubing for the mash tun. Mash tun is a 5 gal round cooler, i need tubing to connect the manifold to the bulkhead and from the bulkhead to the brewpot? Thanks

I prefer the 1/2" silicone tubing. It's rated for temps up to 400F and is food grade product. I also like the fact that it is flexible, but kink resistant. Works great for between vessels or between a pump and vessels which is how I use it. You can find it at morebeer.com or mcmastercarr or Austin Homebrew. It's pretty pricey at $2.10/ft. but it's quality stuff.

Tubing - Silicone (1/2" ID) - By the Foot | MoreBeer

http://www.mcmaster.com/itm/find.asp?searchstring=51845K62

Austin Homebrew Supply

I prefer the 1/2" silicone tubing. It's rated for temps up to 400F and is food grade product. I also like the fact that it is flexible, but kink resistant. Works great for between vessels or between a pump and vessels which is how I use it. You can find it at morebeer.com or mcmastercarr or Austin Homebrew. It's pretty pricey at $2.10/ft. but it's quality stuff.

Tubing - Silicone (1/2" ID) - By the Foot | MoreBeer

http://www.mcmaster.com/itm/find.asp?searchstring=51845K62

Austin Homebrew Supply

+1 to silicone. No plasticizers, food grade, easy to roll up and store. I even use silicone tubing for my siphoning equipment.

I have heard this talk a few times now on HBT. If you are transfering water that is hotter than a high heat sparge then you may need some sort of special high heat tubing. If your concern is about the transerfer of wort from your MLT to your boil kettle, RDWHAHB. Got to lowes or home depot, the tubing there works fine again Relax Dont Worry Have A Home Brew!!!

This is what I used. I even ran 175 degree what through it. It stayed stiff even at those temps. The stiffness of the hose is the only downfall. The LHBS had some, but I saw the same thing at home depot.

braidhose.jpg

Back