Need to get some wheels on my new 3/4 ton brewstand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerapinChef

Reaction score
SDC10701.JPG

I may have been exaggerating. It's realistically around the 200# mark. But due to my lack of garage, I would like to get some wheels on it, preferably something I can roll across the grass. It's constructed of 2" square tube steel. I have no idea what kind of wheels I'm looking for, where I would find them, or how I would mount them on my stand. Some experienced builders...HELP!

A coat of paint wouldn't hurt either. I can see the whole thing washing down the driveway one partical of rust at a time ;-)

I'm continually amazed at the level of overengineering going into most steel brewstands. 1" tube would still be overkill. I know, it looks cool.

Prolly be easier to scrap the dingy in the back and bolt that bohemoth to the trailer. :D

Turn those spotlight around and call yourself "Red Light Brewing".

You might want to look for some wheels that have brakes/locks on them so when you lean up against it, it doesn't take off down the driveway and smash into that fine boat of yours ;) - unless you are looking for an excuse to upgrade that too.

All right here we go...

should get the mold off the back of that boat also...

Prolly be easier to scrap the dingy in the back and bolt that bohemoth to the trailer.

it doesn't take off down the driveway and smash into that fine boat of yours - unless you are looking for an excuse to upgrade that too.

I've been trying to get that boat to go away for a while, but it's a whole big complicated story. To make a long story short, it's come a long way from the back corner of my yard to the driveway...and it took it about 15 years to get there (I've only lived here for one of them though). Although I do like the bolting it to the trailer idea though....

A coat of paint wouldn't hurt either. I can see the whole thing washing down the driveway one partical of rust at a time ;-)

That is the second thing I plan on doing to it. First I need to get it on wheels so I can actually move it to paint it...and it's all just surface rust, it looks much worse than it actually is. Anyone have suggestions on a paint? I wasn't planning on painting the expanded steel panels, just the tube steel, but I don't want it to chip off or get too messed up from any heat...

I'm continually amazed at the level of overengineering going into most steel brewstands. 1" tube would still be overkill. I know, it looks cool.

The guy that I got it from on Craigslist (yes Full Throttle, that's where it came from...and it was a great deal, thank you!) works for one of the automotive companies. I asked about the heavy duty stock, and he said he was doing a lot of work with a welding company and he had them make it for him. Upon further questioning they make shipping racks for large car parts. So I'm suprised the damned thing isn't made out of I beams. The nice part is, until I get it on wheels, I can just roll it end over end without any worry of it even noticing, let alone causing any damage....I'm thinking maybe raid a hand truck for one set of wheels and get some pivoting, locking wheels for the other end...

I used automotive engine paint and it's been holding up really well, even on the cradle under the kettles. Get the stuff meant for painting exhaust manifolds available at any auto parts store.

I used automotive engine paint and it's been holding up really well, even on the cradle under the kettles. Get the stuff meant for painting exhaust manifolds available at any auto parts store.

Damn, I was thinking the same thing. You could paint it some cool a$$ metallic color like blue or red.

If I was looking to go with something like this, at least for one end...I would need an axle and some bearings with tubes to mount the whole thing?

8'' NON-MARRING RUBBER TIRE

47638.gif

Smooth-rolling tube type tire, suitable for lawn and garden applications
5/8'' axle
Double ball-bearing race
Two-piece zinc-plated steel wheel

Upon further engineering and thought I may have a problem. The lowest tier on my stand is only 10" off the ground. I was planning on mounting four wheels, with burners under the lowest and highest tiers. I'm concerned that mounting a rubber wheel 7" away from a 150,000 BTU propane burner will amount to nothing but a funny YouTube video. If anyone has any ideas, let me know. Here's mine....
brewstand_plan.JPG

I know it's not the best artwork but here's my plan. Two wheels on the high side, two posts with feet on the low side. Then I was thinking I could slide some wheelbarrow handles into the open 2" square steel stock on the middle tier when it was time to move it. What do you guys think?

If you're going to do handles, I'd do them on the bottom tier. You planning on moving it with kettles in place?

If you're going to do handles, I'd do them on the bottom tier. You planning on moving it with kettles in place?

No, no, just to store it when not in use...I was thinking the middle tier because the bottom tier, with the legs in place, would be about 20" off the ground, meaning I would have to be very bent over to carry it. The middle tier would be about 40" off the ground, which seems much more convienent to me...(I'm 6'2)

Reverse the wheels and put the handle on the top tier side. You won't have to have them jut out across the vessel on the low side. Better yet, why handles at all. Grab the uprights.

I think he meant to have you move it with 2 wheels only, wheel barrow style. Bend over lift until your upright, start pushing. Even in it's finished state it should still be easy enough to move this way and it keeps your burner away from the wheels.

Linc

No, no, just to store it when not in use...I was thinking the middle tier because the bottom tier, with the legs in place, would be about 20" off the ground, meaning I would have to be very bent over to carry it. The middle tier would be about 40" off the ground, which seems much more convienent to me...(I'm 6'2)

Not active, full kettles.... I'm just wondering if you would be transporting it with the empty kettles sitting on there.

If you put the handles where you have them drawn, you will be leaning over the bottom tier as you push, at the same time trying to directly support that weight that is directly under and behind your shoulders. My opinion is that you will not enjoy this.

If you reverse the wheels as Bobby said, you will be lifting the heavy end. My opinion is that you will not enjoy this.

If you don't want to go all the way to 4 wheels, I think putting the handles on the bottom tier will be the most ergonomic way to go, assuming you're not trying to leave the kettles in place as you hoist it up 45 degrees.

Honestly, though... I'd go 4 wheels. Or be completely bad ass and scavenge the drivetrain and tracks from a ditch witch or a snowblower or something. :rockin:

My original reason for ditching the four wheel idea was that the burner on the bottom tier would be located too close to the tires, causing them to melt. This would lead to the YouTube video I was referring to.

My original reason for ditching the four wheel idea was that the burner on the bottom tier would be located too close to the tires, causing them to melt. This would lead to the YouTube video I was referring to.

I see what you are saying, and it seems like it would work- as long as the handles (and welds) are strong and wide enough apart to incorporate your widest pot.

OK I'll clarify. The handles are for moving the brewstand back to the shed when not in use. The kegs will be stored inside. The handles will be removable (I was planning on being able to just slide them in when needed). Also planning on moving forward with this soon....

Couldn't you make the wheels on that end removable? Or put in some heat shielding (i.e. fenders)?

Is the burner going to be at the same level as the wheels or above? I know that with my burner (granted it's on a stand), most of the heat is radiated upward, some outward, and pretty much none goes down.

Tractor Supply Co. - Titan Casters 3" in Sintered Iron Plate Caster - $8.99 each.

Put these steel wheels on the hot end and cheaper swivel casters on the front.

Description: Rigid Caster; 300 lbs Capacity; 3" Diameter; Size; 5 D x 2.75 W x 3.75 H; Concrete, Heat, Oil and Chemicals

3520546.jpg

They sell bigger ones as well... but looking at that sad excuse for a boat I figured you'd want to go on the cheap. ;)

/tg

From original post
[ I would like to get some wheels on it, preferably something I can roll across the grass.
That would rule out the small heat-proof tires.

but looking at that sad excuse for a boat I figured you'd want to go on the cheap.

I've been trying to get that boat to go away for a while, but it's a whole big complicated story. To make a long story short, it's come a long way from the back corner of my yard to the driveway

As an update, the boat is now gone. Thank god.

I needed to ba able to roll mine on a lose stone drive from my barn to the garage so I went with 10" air filled wheels.
I'm telling you, if you can do it make it so you can move this with all the kegs on it. It's a lot nicer to just roll it out and start brewing. Going back to haul more crap out over and over sucks.

ODHXK-38072020-MVC-696F.JPG

Back