Bang carboy for better dry hop aroma?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nl724

Reaction score
I noticed that when one dry hops with pellet hops, most of the hops reside on top of the beer in the carboy. I figured the final product would have a better aroma if I could submerge the hops in the beer instead of having them float on top...thus I would gently hit the side of the carboy which disturbed the hops floating on the top. The majority of them sunk to the bottom. Does any of you guys do this in order to obtain a better dry hopping efficiency so to speak? Thoughts?

LOL at the replies.. Good stuff.

I just recently tried out dry-hopping w/pellets and using no bag. The pellets sat on top as you described so I just gently rocked the carboy a few times to help them sink. I did this every couple days for the first week and nearly all of them sank. A few days after that I bottled and used a hop bag over my auto-siphon and I didn't notice any hop material going into the bottles.

I tried to bang a carboy once.

Homey don't play dat game... ;)

I always give my carboys or buckets a daily gentle rocking back and forth. The hops will cascade down through the beer and slowly over time, make their way back to the top.

Eventually, they'll stop floating back to the top as they get water-logged.

sanitize some glass marbles or stainless steel ball bearings to since your hop bag/sock far enough that it floats under the surface.

that and a very gentle swirl of the carboy should help extract more hoppy goodness.

I play spin the bottle with mine.......... really.

I keep mine in milk crates and the bottom is slipery enough that I can get a good spin going fairly easy (like a giant top - right side up of course) with minimal splashing - not that that matters in a sealed carboy.

sanitize some glass marbles or stainless steel ball bearings to since your hop bag/sock far enough that it floats under the surface.

that and a very gentle swirl of the carboy should help extract more hoppy goodness.

+1 Do what Malkore says and you'll be good to go!

Latest posts

Back