Boiling wort "here" then pitching yeast "there"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't use gallon jugs but rather 2 or 3 liter bottles. If you drop one, or your bag mishandled, the odds of the cap flying off is less. Your bag will prob be on the bottom, so you will have other bags stacked and thrown on top along with who knows what else done to it.

Also if some wild yeast gets in there the bottle can also handle "some" pressure.

Good idea to use the 2 liter bottles. I think they've got a bit more threading on them than the gallon water jugs do and I'd have more confidence in them to help a bit of pressure then the jugs also.

I'm glad this thread has gotten so much attention. I honestly didn't know what to expect in the way of feedback, but we've learned laws on traveling with homebrew and ways of calculating homebrewed LME weight per gallon. I'm brewing the test batch tomorrow for this final recipe, so I'll check back with that status. Maybe once this is all done....successfully, I'll write up something here with my step by step. It seems it would be pretty cool if we could transport like this and make beer elsewhere if it just takes a bit of planning and minimal equipment at the pitching location.

Contact Aaron at Brewstock in new orleans. They are The lhbs here. They can put you in touch with the local homebrew clubs too. Depending on your dates in March I would be happy to help. I travel some for my job so I might not be here. I'm pretty new at this so my equipment is a bit rustic but I have made a few drinkable beers and ciders. Let me know if I can help.

Contact Aaron at Brewstock in new orleans. They are The lhbs here. They can put you in touch with the local homebrew clubs too. Depending on your dates in March I would be happy to help. I travel some for my job so I might not be here. I'm pretty new at this so my equipment is a bit rustic but I have made a few drinkable beers and ciders. Let me know if I can help.

Timothy,

Thanks for the offer for help. If it's brewed all together, it's going to be a large batch and it doesn't look like your system is able to handle. Regardless, thanks for even offering. It's more than I've gotten in the way of offers than most so far so.

To be honest, I think this plan is going to be best way for me to attempt this for a number of reasons. Really the biggest 1 being that we're only down there for 2 days. One of the days is a couples shower and the other is free. My parents might be a little annoyed if I had to spend 5+ hours of that day brewing. Plus, I'll be able to control the process and batch the most by just doing it on my own system.

Didn't get to brew to test batch yesterday because of a poker game that ran long into Sat night and drinking. Soon though....very soon.

I wanted to close out this thread with a huge thanks for Tim down in New Orleans. This past week Monday, we brewed up 15 gallons of a simply citrus wheat brew for my brother's wedding reception in June. 6 lbs of Pale and 5 lbs of white wheat with 4 zested oranges per 5 gallons. This would not have been possibly without Tim's help in allowing us to borrow his equipment for the brew. He not only allowed us to borrow, he brought it my brother's house AND he's going to be helping to bottle the 15 gallons when it's ready.

Again, I'm amazed by this community's readiness to help others within the hobby. Thanks again Tim!

Back