Lumbermill Stout Brewing Photos

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McKBrew

Reaction score
Had to be at work @ 5:30AM yesterday, so I should have went to bed instead of staying up last night till 11PM to brew. But, I wanted to have the weekend open in case I wanted to do something else.

Steeping Grains (Chocolate Malt, Chocolate Wheat Malt, and Oatmeal)
100_4593.jpg

Cooling
100_4596.jpg

Fermenting Happily (My ghetto fermenting box)
100_4600.jpg

Gravity Reading tonight is at 1.019. Tasted the hydro sample. Decently balanced with some definate chocolate flavor. Looks like another good beer has been brewed. :rockin: :rockin: :ban: :mug:

One of the first beer i'm gonna brew is a chocolate stout! I'm glad to see that your look pretty good! But i've got a little question: you only used chocolate grain and oatmeal, or you added pale malt??

I used a combination of extra light DME and Wheat DME for my base, the grains pictured were steeped for 45min prior to the DME addition.

PEKATRALATAK said:
One of the first beer i'm gonna brew is a chocolate stout! I'm glad to see that your look pretty good! But i've got a little question: you only used chocolate grain and oatmeal, or you added pale malt??
it looks like an extract brew. the grains are just steeping, no mash, no 2-row...if i'm correct, that is :)

If this one turns out, I'll post the recipe. I had a sample last night that seemed alot different than the last one, so I'm not for sure. I'll have to recommend some modifications too, since I ended up with about a gallon of SXIT on the bottom of my primary. (Seemed a bit excessive).

This is a beer that definately developed with age. Should have let the whole batch sit a few months. When I was drinking it everyday back in November and early december, it seemed watery and lacking flavor. Now it's nice, roasty, and a bit chocolately but now I only have five bottles left. Even relatively low ABV beers can get better with age.

McKBrew said:
This is a beer that definately developed with age. Should have let the whole batch sit a few months. When I was drinking it everyday back in November and early december, it seemed watery and lacking flavor. Now it's nice, roasty, and a bit chocolately but now I only have five bottles left. Even relatively low ABV beers can get better with age.

Yeah it's amazing what a little time will do. Hopefully I can scale up enough so the bulk of my concoctions are behind my drinking pace. ;)

Latest posts

Back