Steelhead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopspunge is. Pretty much all lake run smallmouth now in the tributaries here. Unless you like to go inland and catch small browns. I usually just fish lakerun stuff till it gets too warm. Then I take a break from fishing in the summertime. Unless I go out on a friend boat. Ther's a monsoon happening in western NY now. So everything is blown out. I will take a few pics of the smallies next time I go out. You will be shocked at how big some get. Because of the zebra mussles they eat I think. ..

HopSpunge The smallies in great lakes and tribs have gotten huge over the last 10 year or so once they discovered they liked the round goby. Especially in lake Erie and Huron. Same with the walleye. Any thing that resembles a goby in color and or shape is the ticket. Please post pics when you have them.

The summer run steelies in Michigan will start to appear in next few weeks. They are always large, hungry, and fight harder than just about anything :)

Took my Wife fishing on Clunie Lake up on the north end of Fort Richardson Sunday, limited out on stock Trout 8" - 10" and got 2 nice landlocked salmon 18" - 20" (OK really 19.5"):rockin:. It was her first time fishing since she was a child and she is excited already planning to go fishing again this next weekend!:D

Took my Wife fishing on Clunie Lake up on the north end of Fort Richardson Sunday, limited out on stock Trout 8" - 10" and got 2 nice landlocked salmon 18" - 20" (OK really 19.5"):rockin:. It was her first time fishing since she was a child and she is excited already planning to go fishing again this next weekend!:D

Nice always like kokanee fishing.

Nice always like kokanee fishing.

Kokanee - thanks, that's the word. I'm only 53 and I couldn't remember it to save my life. I could have used the Google, I guess.
They are sure pretty, as were the stocker Rainbows. What's nice is in that lake they have holdovers that are pushing 5-6lbs. Also, illegally stocked Northern Pike. I'd really like my Wife to be able to hook some of those larger trout or more agressive pike.

Yea I wish i had something more in the lakes in my area around here to fish for besides rainbows. But I am spoiled with the rivers and the ocean.

Went out after diner yesterday to a small erie trib. Managed to land a couple smallies , no lunkers though. Water was pretty muddy had to really work hard for a couple fish. Can not catch a break with all this rain. By the time the streams green up the small mouth will be gone. The one in the picture made two five foot leaps out of the water, made it worth the while I guess. Was worried I was guna go home skunked with the water so messed up.

ForumRunner_20130613_105319.png

Nice man.Yea summer run isn't cooperating this year haha but just gotta press on

Nice smallie. Bass are my favorite. but I like steelies,haven't been out since my back & hips went south. Damn. My wife misses fishin too. We used to go out all the time & get enough to stock the freezer & feed the family. The last time we went steele fishin,I used a surf rod with a spinnning real,10lb test & steel leader. We got two fish that were a bit over 2 feet long. Great in the pit with some ash wood. Or even rolled in seasoned flour/corn meal mixture.
I have a recipe from the old Jim Doney's Adveture Road show for a cassarole made with walley. I've used steelie & channel cat in it too. It's basically a layered up cassarole of fish fillets,sliced tomatoes,then green pepper slices & thinly sliced sweet onion. Pour bachmel sauce over it,then repeat layering till pan is full. Pour remaining sauce over the top,maybe with some parmagiano regiano on top. Bake at 375 or so till fish flakes. Remove from oven & cool a bit to set. Serve with something like obrian potatoes. I like a pan of hot biscuits with mine.

Just keeping the fishing thread alive. Cought a couple the other day. Fish are starting to trickle in. Need some rain; everything is down to a trickle and gin clear.

ForumRunner_20130927_192702.jpg

Nice. Haven't been out much screwed around this summer didn't get to my husband chores till late. And our rivers are about to get hammered so be a lot of late winter for me.

Had a pretty epic day a couple weekends ago. smoked and canned 6 cases of fall chinook. Also got some in the freezer. The steelies should be here soon...

IMG_1364.jpg

Can't wait for steelie season up here in new york! Gotta dust off my 10' rod. Got to break in my new reel after Christmas last year and landed 3 that morning!

Spent the weekend in northern Michigan fishing for salmon. Landed many kings, a couple coho, and one small steelhead.

I really need to get a large spinning real for my Surf rod. Wanna get some big Steelies & salmon again. Been entirely too long.

Subsailor said:
Not a steelhead but one of a limit of Rainbows on Sixmile Lake on Elmendorf. They're small but tasty!

Dude; where did you get that SHIRT!

Got to get me one a' those!

Dude; where did you get that SHIRT!

Got to get me one a' those!

http://www.beershirtz.com

This guy was so cool. I ordered the shirt I'm wearing and forgot about it (age) about a month later I get an email apologizing for him forgetting about me. He asked me to pick out another shirt and he sent them both to me, no charge for the second shirt. So i got the Barley, Hops, Water Yeast shirt also.

Back