Kegged Beer became dark red and weird colored

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sag1189

Reaction score
So I was in the middle of moving this month so I had to unplug my kegerator and store my sealed full kegs in my parents garage for about a month (as sad as it is I decided that my furniture had to come the first trip and beer stuff waited until the second).

I just hooked up my kegs last night and went to draw out some beer. One keg-a saison- was fine. However my ipa in the other keg turned a weird color. It also was overcarbed and tasted gross. It was very tasty when I kegged it a month ago. So I guess I'm just asking is can an infection turn a beer from light (like 5 srm. Light for an ipa) to this color ( see pics ).

Sorry there's not a lot in the pics. I decided to take a pic as I was dumping the last drop.

image-3685132282.jpg

image-1520065992.jpg

"foxing" was a term English brewers used for infection, got its name from the reddish-tinged foam. That kinda looks like a strawberry shake...pretty gnarly...sorry for your loss.

Did the beer taste different too? This just happened to me. It was a spotted cow clone from Northern Brewer. No signs of ill fermentation, and when I transferred it, it looked and tasted spot on. I wonder if the used keg has some residue from a soda I can't seem to clean. I've used PBW, following the directions, and have even been flushing with star-san after rinsing out the PBW. Thoughts?

Marcados said:
Did the beer taste different too? This just happened to me. It was a spotted cow clone from Northern Brewer. No signs of ill fermentation, and when I transferred it, it looked and tasted spot on. I wonder if the used keg has some residue from a soda I can't seem to clean. I've used PBW, following the directions, and have even been flushing with star-san after rinsing out the PBW. Thoughts?

Yeah mine tasted completely awful so there's definitely some bug there. I'm just gonna take the keg apart change the o rings and load it up with star san and hope for the best.

Was that the first draw from the keg after it sat for a while? That looks to me like you had some settling in the keg and pulled it all out in the first draw.

Back